Attaching your Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A couple of us were talking diving the other day and the subject of octos came up. I'm not comfortable with having anything around my neck - dog tags ride in my pocket - so the whole necklace thing is out. We got around to borrowing a method we use to attach the lowering line to our rucksacks with the intention of it breaking away - rubber bands (retainer bands). Has anyone tried this method? What I intended to try is to attach the band to my BC in the chest region and then loop the free end over the second stage so it goes around the hose. To deploy it, I, or the diver requiring it, pulls on the reg, breaking the band and begins breathing. Obviously this will require a band with a low tensile strength that doesn't stretch much.

The rubber band idea will probably work - it doesn't even have to break. That's the basic principle behind several octo holders.

I like these ones, which are basically fancy versions of your rubber band (though perhaps a more permanent solution):

2179-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Only a dollar or two at your LDS. Pick your favorite D ring location, use the round end to loop it through itself around the D ring and stretch the rectangle end over the octo mouthpiece.

A lot of jacket BCDs have an area where you can stuff the hose for it. There's also a lot of pre-made octo holders. I wouldn't worry about having something disposable, because then you can't do safety drills.

A couple of us were talking diving the other day and the subject of octos came up. I'm not comfortable with having anything around my neck - dog tags ride in my pocket - so the whole necklace thing is out. We got around to borrowing a method we use to attach the lowering line to our rucksacks with the intention of it breaking away - rubber bands (retainer bands). Has anyone tried this method? What I intended to try is to attach the band to my BC in the chest region and then loop the free end over the second stage so it goes around the hose. To deploy it, I, or the diver requiring it, pulls on the reg, breaking the band and begins breathing. Obviously this will require a band with a low tensile strength that doesn't stretch much.

The attachment needs to be fast and easy to use in an OOG situation, both by you or the receiver, but you should also consider that (hopefully) the vastly more common use situations will be drills and taking test breaths.

So whatever solution you end up with needs to be such that it allows you to do safety drills regularly - ideally every dive. Human nature being what it is, anything that is hard to restow after a drill or has a breakable connection tends to feed complacency.

If the Hogarthian system is ruled out, I'd look into a system with a couple of tightish bungee loops on the shoulder harness - bend the octo hose and push it through them. Same as you'd ad hoc using a D-ring, but less prone to get stuck.

//LN

It should be hanging just under your chin ready to deploy should the need arise. Anyplace else is... well it's hoopty and problematic. Hence the discussion of "where's the best place to put the damn thing", or "how do I attach the stupid thing."

:D

Unless you run a short hose/long hose configuration for your 2nd stage & octo, you wouldn't have to use the necklace.

As far as jury rigging something to hold the octo, like others have shown you. They are already in the market.

I keep mine on middle d-ring with a snorkel keeper. My buddy keeps his attached to his chest piece with a snorkel keeper.

Or you can use an Air2 or something similar. Yes, there are those who will now start screaming "You're gonna die!!!" but for open water recreatinal diving, I can't see anything inherently wrong with the Air2. My wife and I both have them. We do S drills and buddy breathing drills regularly. The only thing I'd say is that if you're going to donate your primary and use an Air2, you might want to consider using a longer hose on your primary. We use black octo hoses, but you could certainly use a 5' or even 7' DIR-style hose, if you so choose.

If that's your missus in the photo, why would you want to use anything longer than 1 foot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom