Attaching your Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing to keep in mind...

WHATEVER way you end up attaching your Octo, you need to go over how you plan to deploy it with EVERY buddy in your pre-dive briefing. It needs to be easy to get to, and your buddy needs to know EXACTLY where the reg he is going to be using if needed is placed, whether that is somewhere on your body or in your mouth (if you pass your primary).

Personally, I do the bungie thing, because that's the reg I am going to be breathing in case my buddy goes OOA or has a problem, and I want to know EXACTLY where MY backup regulator is at ALL times.

If that's your missus in the photo, why would you want to use anything longer than 1 foot.

Yes, that is her, and I want a long hose just in case I need to share with someone else. :D

From experience, I have yet to have an OOA diver grab my octo...rather they take my primary from my mouth usually from behind me. Whatever way you wish to store your octo, you must be able to get to it efficiently yourself. When I dive without students, I am on a longhose/bungied backup. When I am with students on a standard set-up, I use the octo keeper attached to my d-ring which fits in the mouthpiece. It's whatever you feel most comfortable with. Just remember, the more complicated it is, the longer you or the OOA diver will be without air.

Carolyn:shark2:

The rubber band idea will probably work - it doesn't even have to break. That's the basic principle behind several octo holders.

I like these ones, which are basically fancy versions of your rubber band (though perhaps a more permanent solution):

2179-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Only a dollar or two at your LDS. Pick your favorite D ring location, use the round end to loop it through itself around the D ring and stretch the rectangle end over the octo mouthpiece.
I second these. They're simple and work fine.

Back
Top Bottom