Attaching spring straps to fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blackcloud

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some help I have mares quattro fins with the post and I bought the spring straps that are supposed to work on these fins. But I have found a small problem when taking them off they will occasonally un hook this is normally not a problem since most of my diving is from the shore and I can just grab them and fix it when I get to the beach> Now however I am going to the Florida Keys for a week of boat diving and if one comes apart it is likely to sink to the bottom so is there anyway to assure that the hooks will not come off the posts Thanks.

waterproof duct-type tape......wrap it up! It may not look pretty, but it will work. Or you can cut/modify the fins. I've done both before. I'm sorry , I'm not familiar with those fins, per se, but I stand byy this advice.

I'm not familiar with the "stock" Mares spring straps, but take a look at this DIY thread about using shackle bolts around the posts. You may find some things that, even if they aren't exact matches, you can adapt.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/191307-ss-spring-straps.html

Key ideas were the use of loctite on the screws, swaging the ends of the screws to mushroom them so they can't unscrew, and my contribution of wrapping the connection in heatshrink tubing. See post #18, it has some pictures.

Maybe you can adapt some of that to your particular gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom