Attaching pockets - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeanQ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since I dive a BP/W and don't have any pocket on my wetsuit I've decided to add my own. I've recently aquired a bellows pocket and a bottle of neoprene cement. I'm trying to figure out the best way off attaching it. I read some of the older threads and have picked up a few tips. There are a few things that I havn't seen covered and I wanted to ask them.

For gluing the pocket on should I make a big square of glue or only glue along the edges of the pocket?

If I stitched it to scrap neoprene should I also glue the pocket to the scrap?

Is there any sort of surface treatment I should do before gluing the pocket on?

SeanQ:
Since I dive a BP/W and don't have any pocket on my wetsuit I've decided to add my own. I've recently aquired a bellows pocket and a bottle of neoprene cement. I'm trying to figure out the best way off attaching it. I read some of the older threads and have picked up a few tips. There are a few things that I havn't seen covered and I wanted to ask them.

For gluing the pocket on should I make a big square of glue or only glue along the edges of the pocket?

If I stitched it to scrap neoprene should I also glue the pocket to the scrap?

Is there any sort of surface treatment I should do before gluing the pocket on?

Put your suit on and place your hand where it naturally falls on your leg. That is where you want to install your pocket. Place the pocket on the suit at that location and draw an outline with chalk. Paint neoprene cement on the back of the pocket and on your wetsuit inside the chalk marks. Wait fifteen minutes, or until the cement is dry to the touch, and paint the surfaces. Wait another fifteen minutes and do it again. This time wait only ten minutes and then press the two surfaces together. If you want to also stitch the material together you can, but it is really not necessary. If you do, use heavy synthetic carpet thread or sail thread and use a sailmaker's needle and sewing palm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom