Attaching drysuit pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeckyll

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering what to use to glue my drysuit pockets. I've got a bare nexgen bag suit.

Thanks in advance. :)

Bjorn

The glue to use if you want it to stay put is: PB-300

This glue, by OS Systems, can be applied like contact adhesive, allowing multiple coats to dry on both pieces. PB-300 dries VERY fast so it won't take long at all to apply multiple coats. When dry the pieces can be positioned together without the glue adhering (unlike regular contact adhesive) allowing you to make positioning adjustments if necessary. Then gently heat the area with a heat gun (on low) or a hair dryer (on high) to activate the glue and apply compression by roller or mallet. Lifting and edge and directing heat between the pieces progressively is a good method.

The best part is that once you've heat activated and then joined the pieces your job is done. No need to wait for glue to dry... go diving.

TIP: Clean surfaces by wiping with MEK before applying PB-300. MEK can also be used to activate the dried PB-300 instead of using heat. Wipe one of the surfaces with MEK and then join. I prefer heat activation.

Additional TIP for attaching pockets:
I locate the pocket on the drysuit and then outline the area with masking tape. I brush PB-300 in a 1"~1.5" wide border around the suit side of the pocket and also within the area outlined on the suit by the tape. Don't try to glue the all the pocket surface to the suit... just the perimeter 1"~1.5" This will allow the pocket and the suit to flex. If you glue the whole surface the corners will start coming off.

When several coats are dry, the tape can be removed and the pocket positioned perfectly before heat or MEK activation. If you get to the dive site an extra half hour before the dive you could do it in the parking lot.

UP... Do you have any idea what the good ole industrial adhesive is that they are repackaging and calling PB-300?

kidspot:
How many dives do you find the PB-300 holds for? I still have not seen it here...

PB-300 is the adhesive OS Systems uses for thier neck seals, wrist seals, and boots.
I hope it holds quite a while. I do know that pockets pulled off a whole lot easier them drysuit boots.
Gee...yet another post to a question without giving an answer... Click back button and continue reading or click on submit Repl

UP: That you very much for the detailed writeup. :)

Bjorn

I found that DUI has a really nice pictorial that explains how to change seals and install a pocket etc. Its on their website. Says about the same thing as what UP wrote, but with pictures to help.

Uncle Pug:
No I don't... but I do know that it doesn't like to be left out in a garage when the temperature drops below 32F. :D

I had to go look. I now have half of a container of some solid mass.
Do you know if it be brought back to usable condition by adding MEK or something?

I had an idea about finding true identity of the Adhesive. I am going to write to OSS and ask for the MSDS.

I've not had success in bringing it back to life with MEK... I have however had success putting it in a warm bath of water. That works for honey that has gone to sugar as well. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom