Attached / Detached ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am the converted...I always swore I wouldn't use an attached hood, that is until I bought my Henderson GoldCore Hyperstretch....with an attached hood....I love it....less water in , and I am warmer I believe for it..........I can appreciate how uncomfortable walking around with the hood down is , however, I really want to be comfortable under the water.......paramount to me........

One very important feature of having an attached hood for cold water diving is that it keeps cold water out of your ears. Repeated exposure can cause bone thickening (bony exostosis), to the point that it interferes with both clearing and hearing.
Here's a little article from Scubadoc's website, scroll down to "Surfer's Ear": http://scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html

It's probably more common than given credit for. (I've got it)

I like to hear your replies.

I have'nt tried a dry suit yet. I dive, in cold water conditions, with a 7mil one piece + a vest with attached hood and reversed beaver. I had the vest custom made for me and really love it.
The back of the vest has a zipper that starts half way down the back of my hood and continues to the bottom where the reverse beaver attaches with velcro. This is so easy to put on. I just put my face in the hood and then put my arms through the arm holes of the vest. My buddy usually zips me up and then I stick the beaver on my butt. I may have been fine without the beaver but it helps keep the vest from riding up. The reason I did this is that I had laser eye surgery (Lasik) where a flap is cut in the cornea. I was worried about pulling a hood up over my head and possibly damaging my eyes.
People look at me a little oddly when I'm donning my vest but I don't care - it works really well.
For warm/tropical diving I use a .5mil Henderson + my hooded vest - I've had my hair tugged and head nipped by fish before I used the hood. Now I'm always comfy and warm.

I didn't mention that I was thinking of drysuits. When wetsuit diving I always use an attached hood but:

with the dry a hood has a few for me unwanted features...

1) It makes it harder to fold down the latex neck seal (especially with dry gloves)

2) It is bulky when doing shore dives where you have to walk, and really don't need a warm hood (folding it back is uncomfortable)

3) It works as an airtrap and adds to the "conehead effect".

4) It is easier to maintain / exchange neck seal

5) If it is torn - no problem

6) You could choose differnt thicknesses

7) attached hoods are not dry anyway...

and some wanted...

1) It is warmer

2) You cannot forget it at home

3) any more???

hmm... this is what i think at least (didn't want to write it until know - wanted to hear your opinions first)... but would be nice with even more opinions

: )

/Kristian

Ok, I know what a hood is, I dive with out one most of the time. It has to be very cold 65 and below before I put one on.... and then I go with the un-attached, and sometimes just put on my ball cap made with wetsuit material :eek:ut: I have had allot of comments about it...

Rich :mean:

For dry suit diving I prefer a neck dam and superlight 17b helmet. I stay nice and dry.
The problem is that here in FL I am usually jumping into shallow water that is too warm for the dry suit and gearing up is slower than just jumping into a thin wet suit.

I am thinking of getting a one piece wet suit with attached hood just for the added protection from the junk in the water.

Ahh, the joys of commercial diving. :D

Back
Top Bottom