Attach a swivel snap to the light head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

1. Long before an OOA gets close enough to *grab it out of your mouth* you should be responding to the situation by extending at arms length a functioning regulator and swimming toward the OOA.

2. Dropping the lighthead with the possibility of breaking it is not a sane option if you are depending upon light. Tangling the lighthead/cord with the long hose is not wise either. Agreed that the additional time is not the deciding factor... but if you do it right you can still use your right hand for the light after passing it under your long hose... in an OOA you will simply switch the light to the left hand and deploy the long hose with the right. No dropping, tangling, breaking involved.

3. The light shined in the face might actually keep the OOA from receiving the regulator in the first place... and even if they do manage to get it ... the light in the face will disorient, add stress and affect their vision for the egress/ascent.

You're very annoying when you apply logic to our arguments :bonk:

1. Agreed. But this was for the "sneaker" who comes from behind.

2. Okay, but actual OOA is remote, and I have backup lights. If I get your post correctly, I would loop the cord under the hose comming up my chest going to the left, then have the cord over the same hose, and still have it in my right hand. That would work okay I guess, except in scene 1. If that is what you meant, I'll have to try it.

3. Conceded. But it's still workable ever if I have to shove the reg in their mouth. It would not take that long for their vision to clear IMO. Not a "good" option by any means.

MD

I almost always have my light on my left hand, however we have practiced OOG drills with it in our right. We've never had a problem with blinding the OOG diver. You do have to be aware of it though. As you approach the OOG with the reg in your hand with the mouth piece pointed down, you have to cock your hand a bit to the side then rotate up and counter clockwise a touch so the reg is facing them in a breathable position. Keeps the light out of their eyes. It sounds convoluted, but when you're doing it, it becomes quite apparent how to do it and where not to point your light beam.

We think its easier to practice the movement of your hand/wrist so you have the muscle memory than to be juggling your lighthead in an actual OOG emergency. Seems like a lot more task loading to me.

M

If you ever get to using scooters you will find it practical to switch your light head back and forth form right to left hand... and even if you are not using scooters this will be something you should be able to do.

If you practice deploying your light head under the long hose and always switching to the left hand before donating with the right in an OOA you will never trap the long hose.

However if for some reason you have the light head in your left hand and need to donate... and you have not followed my advice above... you will have to switch the lighthead back to your right hand to keep from trapping the long hose and still run the risk of blinding the OOA.

In other words if you are going to use the light head in your right hand without passing it first under the long hose you should never use the light head in your left hand or you will end up trapping the long hose.

Whatever you choose to do you should of course practice it.

I agree completely with you UP. When switching from right hand to left you MUST route it under the hose, and vice versa. I'm sorry if I implied otherwise. We do practice switching the light from hand to hand, but I still think its more work to switch hands then donate than practice with the light remaining in the right hand while donating.

Nope, unfortunately no scooter diving yet, still saving for a gavin, although I've been KICKING myself for not seeing the used $300 gavin on quest a while back sooner. Oh well, just have to wait for you to get a new one so I can buy yours. :D

M

Nope, $300.00. It was a short bodied Gavin. I bet whoever saw that posting first thought christmas came early. I just wish it had been me.;-0

M

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
If you ever get to using scooters you will find it practical to switch your light head back and forth form right to left hand... and even if you are not using scooters this will be something you should be able to do.

If you practice deploying your light head under the long hose and always switching to the left hand before donating with the right in an OOA you will never trap the long hose.

However if for some reason you have the light head in your left hand and need to donate... and you have not followed my advice above... you will have to switch the lighthead back to your right hand to keep from trapping the long hose and still run the risk of blinding the OOA.

In other words if you are going to use the light head in your right hand without passing it first under the long hose you should never use the light head in your left hand or you will end up trapping the long hose.

Whatever you choose to do you should of course practice it.

I had this all figured out once...mutter...dir...logic...mutter...

SPEEDSTER once bubbled...
Nope, $300.00. It was a short bodied Gavin. I bet whoever saw that posting first thought christmas came early. I just wish it had been me.;-0 M

I don't think anybody in their right mind would sell any size Gavin for $300. Maybe the tube and battery pack only?

The Pirate :pirate:

The Pirate once bubbled...

I don't think anybody in their right mind would sell any size Gavin for $300. Maybe the tube and battery pack only?

The Pirate :pirate:

I still have the email to and from the seller. I removed the name so as not to advertise their name unknown to them:

{Sorry, the Gavin short is sold}

----- Original Message -----
To: <**************>
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 1:17 PM
Subject: gavin for sale on gue

> I am inquiring about the $300 gavin on GUE's website, have you already sold it? thanks, Mike

edited to remove my last name ;]

it was not just the tube and pack, it was advertised as in perfect working order, ready to dive. Sorry, it was rather unbelievable to me as well.

-M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom