Attach a swivel snap to the light head?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can tuck excess light cord under your waistband.

I'll try the right hand d-ring again - I'll just have to be sue to pass the light head UNDER the wrapped long hose before clipping it off, so that the long hose can still be deployed.

WreckWriter once bubbled...

You want two snaps. One goes on the inboard (as you hold the light in left hand) side of your Goodman handle, the other goes where cord meets lighthead.
WW

Inboard side of Goodman handle -- If I understand correctly, when pointing the light straight ahead and looking at it from behind, the snap is attached to the lower right corner of the handle. When snapped off the handle would tend to be closest to you and the light pointed over your right shoulder.

Where the cord meets the lighthead – I assume that the standard o-ring, ty-wrap configuration is acceptable?

Thanks,
Mike

As has already been pointed out the left d-ring is too busy with stage/deco bottles... don't clip the light there.

Do pass the light under the long hose for use in the left hand and switch to the right hand without passing it back under the hose... right hand use of the light is only temporary... in an OOA you need to get the light back into your left hand or you will blind the donee with it when you pass the regulator!

When stowing the lighthead on the right d-ring do not neglect to pass it back under the long hose before clipping it off... other wise you trap the long hose. This passing the light under the hose when deploying and when stowing become very automatic if you are not changing proceedures all the time (right and left d-rings.)

As for taming the light cord while the head is clipped off... as has already been stated tuck it into the waist band but take care not to pass it over the top of the long hose doing so... this again becomes automatic if you do the same proceedure every time.

As for bolt snaps I just use one and have it in the upper right hand corner of the goodman handle... when clipped off my light shines directly forward as I am horizontal in the water... I usually leave it in this position turned on while descending but turned off on ascent so as not to blind Shane when we face off.

MikeS once bubbled...

Inboard side of Goodman handle -- If I understand correctly, when pointing the light straight ahead and looking at it from behind, the snap is attached to the lower right corner of the handle. When snapped off the handle would tend to be closest to you and the light pointed over your right shoulder.

Where the cord meets the lighthead – I assume that the standard o-ring, ty-wrap configuration is acceptable?

Thanks,
Mike

Correct, lower right as you state it.

As for tie off, in my opinion, o-rings are not acceptable anywhere in open circuit diving (rebreather bailout should have a "break-away", nothing else needs it). I use cave line for all boltsnap ties.

WW

MechDiver once bubbled...

My light stays on my right hand all the time also.

MD

MD,

Are you referring to the right hand D-ring or are you saying you keep the lighthead on your right hand all the time?

icediver once bubbled...

How do you take up the slack of the cord when it's on your right hand? Sounds like an entanlgement issue.

icediver,

Were you asking what to do with the cord when clipped to the right D-ring or when holding the lighthead in your right hand?

I noticed everyone answered icediver's question if he was referring to the D-ring, but not if he was asking about hand placement.

If you are holding it in your right hand you wrap the cord around your arm until the slack is taken out.

Mike

WreckWriter once bubbled...

As for tie off, in my opinion, o-rings are not acceptable anywhere in open circuit diving (rebreather bailout should have a "break-away", nothing else needs it). I use cave line for all boltsnap ties.

WW

I use the o-ring attachment in one place only-on the primary regulator. The reason for this is valve drills. If I cannot get the reg off the d-ring when doing the drill, I want to be able to pull it off. Of course, my buddy is there, but I like this option. And it doesn't cause any addtional issues.

SPEEDSTER once bubbled...

MD,

Are you referring to the right hand D-ring or are you saying you keep the lighthead on your right hand all the time?

If you are holding it in your right hand you wrap the cord around your arm until the slack is taken out.

Mike

I keep the lighthead on my right hand as that is where it is most comfortable and usable for me. I don't think using the left hand is that big a deal, and going under/over/through/whatever the long hose is just another thing to complicate your dive.

I usually don't worry about the cord as its a closed loop. But, as you say, wrapping it around your arm is effective.

As I also carry a deco tank on my right side if needed, I have a d-ring mounted on the outboard side of my canister. If not wearing a stage and in openwater not using the light, I sometimes clip the head off there.

MD

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

...the issue of blinding the OOA when handing off the primary on the long hose?

Three scenerios:

OOA grabs reg from mouth. Hose unfolds okay and light no problem.

OOA signals needs air. Remove hand from lighthead and give reg to OOA. Additional time, nothing. Possibility of lighthead cord tangling with long hose, but nothing to keep OOA from receiving air. Possibility of lighthead being damaged. OOA will pay for lighthead before reaching surface...or...:boom:

OOA gets light shined in face but is still breathing. If he doesn't like that, he can go suck eggs .:D

The DIR way is noted, and I do see the reasoning. I'm just not that anal about it when it works better for me to use the right hand.

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...
Three scenerios:
1. Long before an OOA gets close enough to *grab it out of your mouth* you should be responding to the situation by extending at arms length a functioning regulator and swimming toward the OOA.

2. Dropping the lighthead with the possibility of breaking it is not a sane option if you are depending upon light. Tangling the lighthead/cord with the long hose is not wise either. Agreed that the additional time is not the deciding factor... but if you do it right you can still use your right hand for the light after passing it under your long hose... in an OOA you will simply switch the light to the left hand and deploy the long hose with the right. No dropping, tangling, breaking involved.

3. The light shined in the face might actually keep the OOA from receiving the regulator in the first place... and even if they do manage to get it ... the light in the face will disorient, add stress and affect their vision for the egress/ascent.

Back
Top Bottom