AtomicTi2 Titanium Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that they recommend that you do not use gas with more than 40% O2 and titanium can become brittle with exposure to high concentration of Oxygen. I would say that you CAN use nitrox with your titanim reg, but it is not recommended!

Morg_NZ:
Is it true that this reg CANNOT be used with nitrox??

Need to settle argument:monster:

Untrue to a point.

Titanium will spontaneously combust (burn) when exposed to elevated levels of O2 at elevated pressure. IN a lab setting they can get titanium to burn well within recreational nitrox parameters (35% O2 and a catylist and just the right conditions, IIRC) but in practice this doesn't seem to be a problem.

What *has* happened, however is that a titanium regulator has burst into flame when exposed to O2 from a deco bottle. I only know of one such case of this happening. It seems to me that it's ok with use up to 32%. Between 32% and 40% I have my doubts becasue they can make it happen in a lab and above 40% it's probably not very smart.

Hope that helps.

R..

Titanium is more brittle than many other metals whether exposed to oxygen / enriched oxygen or not - this is just a measure of malleability. Interestingly, it's typically the high reactivity of titanium that underlies its corrosion resistance - it rapidly forms a reaction product film on the surface that protects the base metal (somewhat) - but as others have mentioned here that very reactivity is a double-edged sword. Reactive metal fires are one of the most difficult to extinguish once started. Think of junior high or high school science class and experiments involving burning a small thin strip of magnesium to get a frame of reference.

It woudn't be DIR . . . .

Actually, since Sodium and Potassium both spontaneously combust when put in water...your air source would not last long, but you would not need a light and be real warm for the short dive...

As a chemistry major at university, I remember throwing chunks of sodium into the school fountain to watch them flash, burn and hiss while scooting crazily on top of the water. Quite a sight to see. Someone in my department claimed to have blown up a toilet by flushing down a Sodium down...those crazy kids...

jagfish:
Actually, since Sodium and Potassium both spontaneously combust when put in water...your air source would not last long, but you would not need a light and be real warm for the short dive...

As a chemistry major at university, I remember throwing chunks of sodium into the school fountain to watch them flash, burn and hiss while scooting crazily on top of the water. Quite a sight to see. Someone in my department claimed to have blown up a toilet by flushing down a Sodium down...those crazy kids...

Sodium and potassium react to hydrolyse water. The metal itself doesn't burn, but reacts (read: is consumed in the process) with water to split it into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas, producing enough heat in the process to burn the hydrogen gas. If you had thrown a chunk of sodium into the fountain that was large enough to sink, it would have caused an underwater explosion. having that happen behind you head a couple of minutes into the dive would spice things up a little...

jagfish:
Why doesn't anyone produce a Sodium or Potassium regulator. Now that would be interesting...

Not advised by the AMA for those on a low sodium/cholesterol diet...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom