Atomics B1 breathing hard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickyd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a new (20 dives) Atomic B1. Love it, except for one thing.

When I'm turned over - on my back looking up at the surface - I notice it breaths significantly harder than when in a normal position. This happens at fairly shallow (40 foot or less) depths. I haven't tried inverting yet when deeper, but expect the same reaction.

Is this normal for the B1? Note that I haven't yet been to my LDS to see if any adjustments are needed, but will do so in the next week or so.

This is completely normal ... Any Piston / Balanced 1st stages, Canister Style (not side breather) Like your B1 or the T1/Z1, etc., will all do this.

Think about it for just a second. Gravity, Water Pressure all these things are going to play a role... Normally pressure pushes down on the diaphram making it easier to breathe but as soon as you invert the exact opposite is going to happen.

If this is bothersome or you will be like this for an extended period of time simply playing with your adjustment knob, turning it counter clockwise to freeflow to release air. Then the reverse as you come upright again.

Ahhhh, then we move on to my Fav ... The pilot valve ... Like on my ol "Odin 5000", God rest its soul. I'd give anything to have that Reg back!!! No amount of pressure is going to cause that valve to change ... The hose will actually seperate / Burst first - By Design.

=-)

Wow - almost sounds too simple!

I will certainly play with the free flow adjustment next time out. I do like "laying" on my back and gazing up thru the kelp canopy when the sunlight is right......ooops, sounding like a picture postcard ;-0

Back
Top Bottom