Atomic Z3 review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba727

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All

I thought I would post some feedback on my experience with my new Z3 reg.

I tried it out last week in TCI and overall am pleased with my decision. First and least important is the Z3 is a good looking piece of kit. The first stage has 7 LP PORTS. My dive shop had it set up with the primary reg coming straight out in the back of my neck which I only discovered once I got it setup on a tank for the first time. That night I moved the primary to the next port and the inflator to the next port which resulted in those hoses being routed 90 degrees from the first stage if you get my meaning. This was much better but the octo hose now was coming out at the tank valve. All in all not a well thought out setup for the first stage. An additional LP port is at the bottom of the first stage is pointless, unless you rotate the entire first stage 90 or 180 degrees. It would all work much better if the first stage was connected upside down.

The comfort swivel seemed like a good idea but I don't think you could even feel the benefits from the design. Reg breathed nicely as expected. It was used with a Zeagle Scout BC which I was also happy with, I like the trim pockets and the rear inflate was a non issue in terms of adjustment coming from a jacket style.

Thanks to all for the great info helping me decide what gear to get. I am starting to understand what people say when they suggest get what works for you instead of being paralyzed by the never ending choices of stuff that basically does the same thing.

Any recommendations for a watch style computer?

Cheers
Scuba727

Yes, you surely understand all possible uses of the bottom LP port.

Carry on, yoda.

If it has 7 LP ports, why is the lay out not well thought out? do you need more ports?

If one uses a configuration where (a) the 1st stage is hosting a long hose primary, the bottom LP port is ideal for routing it down the right side of the body, under a knife/light can/whatever and thence across the chest and around the neck into the breathe-y bit on the face; or (b) the 1st stage is but one of two such regulators on a set of doubles, the bottom LP port works beautifully for routing the LPI hose on the right post side. There may be other uses in other configurations, but those two come to mind.

It's unfortunate the OP is blaming an extremely-well established 1st stage design for his inability to put reg, hoses, BCD, and tank together in such a way that it works well for him, but that's not something I'm diving into. What I will take issue with is the idea that someone with his myopic view of regs should be expounding on what's "useless" about the design. Just because it does nothing good for a single tank diver who doesn't use a long hose, hardly means the bottom LP port is useless.

When you invert the first stage, the tank valve will block some of the ports. OP, long hose users use the bottom port. I have the Z2 and B2. I prefer the fix cap over the rotating cap.

If one uses a configuration where (a) the 1st stage is hosting a long hose primary, the bottom LP port is ideal for routing it down the right side of the body, under a knife/light can/whatever and thence across the chest and around the neck into the breathe-y bit on the face; or (b) the 1st stage is but one of two such regulators on a set of doubles, the bottom LP port works beautifully for routing the LPI hose on the right post side. There may be other uses in other configurations, but those two come to mind.

It's unfortunate the OP is blaming an extremely-well established 1st stage design for his inability to put reg, hoses, BCD, and tank together in such a way that it works well for him, but that's not something I'm diving into. What I will take issue with is the idea that someone with his myopic view of regs should be expounding on what's "useless" about the design. Just because it does nothing good for a single tank diver who doesn't use a long hose, hardly means the bottom LP port is useless.

As a new diver, it's true I had not considered various configurations that may utilize the various ports beyond a single tank setup. I am new to this sport and have much to learn, it would have been nice if you shared your knowledge and experience in a less arrogant and condescending tone.

You want good advice delivered in a pleasant tone, go to your LDS. You're not my customer.

Your own initial post exhibited a hefty dose of arrogance and assumption, but you seem strangely upset by being on the receiving end. Something to think about.

You will in time learn the usefulness of the bottom port. I too have a Z2 first stage with 7 ports. there are 6 port around the bottom cap, at least 2 pointing out each side if one is directly toward your head and one is directly toward the tank valve. So 4 is definitely useful not counting the bottom.

For single tank diving, I also like fixed cap more than the swivel cap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom