Atomic Venom Mask Leak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spoke with my dive shop today. They provided me with a picture. I am not sure if this is what divezonescuba is referring to. I hope it helps. Venom 003.jpg

Nope. That's not it. They are the two small circular imprints/moldings as you look right into the mask on either side of the nose pocket. I will try to post a photo in the next couple of days.

atomic.jpg

The Venoms with any date time stamp molded into the nose pocket are the one's which have had the issue corrected. Ours were 03/12. So the problem was corrected at least as early as then.

Last edited:
This is good info for anyone having issues with this mask. Atomic is stepping up, so if you own this mask have it inspected. I have been diving the frameless for years, ultra clear lens, great mask at half the cost (around $90). I do not think the lens can get clearer! It does not have the sexy stripe or defect! :D

Sad that the Venom is so expensive. What the heck results in a mask doubling in price?

This is good info for anyone having issues with this mask. Atomic is stepping up, so if you own this mask have it inspected. I have been diving the frameless for years, ultra clear lens, great mask at half the cost (around $90). I do not think the lens can get clearer! It does not have the sexy stripe or defect! :D

Sad that the Venom is so expensive. What the heck results in a mask doubling in price?

:rofl3:

Thanks for this post - will check mine. After my third day of diving I went back to my old scubapro because I was constantly clearing the Atomic. Not a problem on the first few dives, but certainly showed up later. Will check when I get back home.

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 08:56 AM ----------

Well, add mine to the list. Seal is bad in the same area. Sure looking like a recall is in order.

I called Atomic Aquatics Friday (04-20-12), because I wanted to know how to identify if the replacement mask I received was ok. The person I spoke with told me that every Venom mask was not defective, so there was not way to know. I asked about the marking of dates on the skirt, and I was told that some new masks were being marked.

I then got in contact with the manager at the dive shop I purchased and got it replaced from. The manager told me he was unaware of any scientific method of identifying the defective masks. However, he did tell me that in March, he had his staff go through all the Venom masks they had in stock. He said they checked each mask by pulling on the rubber molding on the inside of the mask, where it meets the glass. He indicated they returned all masks that separated. Mine was replaced at the beginning of April, he felt pretty confident that mine was ok.

Even though the conditions were pretty bad, I did manage to make it out yesterday and do relatively shallow wreck dive and the mask seemed to work great. I guess time will tell.

Well, looks like the saga continues for me. Today I was diving again with the replacement mask, and near the end of the dive, a steady stream of bubbles starting coming out of the upper left quadrant of the frame of the mask.

So the replacement mask I received from my LDS appears to have also been from the bad batch. I guess this time I'll bypass my LDS and contact Atomic directly and see if I can get a replacement mask from them.

You'd think that when buying a product from a company like Atomic, and paying $200 for one of their masks, this kind of issue wouldn't happen. And even if it did happen, you'd think it would get resolved immediately!

Sent my Venom's back for replacement last Wednesday. Received the new pair today, so a little more than a week turnaround.
Also has the 3/12 round stamps as shown in the picture previously posted. Hopefully this will solve the leakage issue. Off to St Croix in 2 weeks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom