Atomic T3 Regulator - Still worth the money in 2018?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

edstorm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Its been 5 years since the release of the Atomic T3 first and second stage. Still worth the money? Upgrading from a Delta 4 Oceanic setup. Service Interval for the T3 is ridiculous.

Thanks.

- Ed

It is really a personal preference. The additional cost of titanium will never be worth from practical point of view. If precious metal makes you happy, that is all it matter.

Personally, I am not a big fan of Delta4, but still, what is it not doing for you? If it works for you, why spend the money? The cost of a T3 can be a dive vacation.

Pretty much someone offered a like new set T3 for me for 1k so curious if I should get it.

Its been 5 years since the release of the Atomic T3 first and second stage. Still worth the money? Upgrading from a Delta 4 Oceanic setup. Service Interval for the T3 is ridiculous.

Thanks.

- Ed

Just saw a B2 auction ending in a day on eBay. Starting bid is 400. I just bought one from him last week, brand new reg couldn't believe it.

Pretty sure the B2 is the same reg with less titanium and it still has a lot of titanium parts itself. If your interested in the link LMK and I will shoot it over.

I considered bidding on it just to re-sell it or have an extra laying around, but I need to chill out for a bit :)

Pretty much someone offered a like new set T3 for me for 1k so curious if I should get it.

If thats the case I would show him the link to the new B2 for 400 and offer him $750 :)

If precious metal makes you happy, that is all it matter.

Minor correction, Titanium is not a precious metal like gold, silver, and platinum. It is relatively expensive compared to stainless steel, has about 2.5x higher tensile strength (so you need less of it), and the right alloys have far better salt water corrosion resistance. The material cost in a regulator is relatively minor. Titanium is horrible to machine, the production quantity is very low, and a small number of divers are willing to pay the premium.

I think it is fair to say that a Titanium regulator's value is more as an object of desire than can be justified by functional advantages, even over a lifetime. That said, I would love to have one -- along with my own Falcon Jet.

All Atomics breathe the same so if the cost of the T3 is a factor - look at the B2 or ST1. since they have the same functionality (swivel hose, turret) at a lower cost. All 3 models have an all Ti 2nd stage.

Even A Z3(not Z2) has the 2nd stage swivel - just not the turret. Both stages made of Zirconium plated brass.

I've owned a B1, Z1 and T2 so I've used much of their line.

A lot of the important B2 internals are Ti also - just not the 1st stage body which is chrome/brass..

Every model has the same factory recommended service interval.

If I was buying now- I'd buy an ST1 as the corrosion resistance is all but the same.

The extra $750 buys a better octo. Or their SS1 Octo/Inflator which breathes the same as their other models.

Also a B2 is $1000 less...

Minor correction, Titanium is not a precious metal like gold, silver, and platinum.

Correct, correct.

has about 2.5x higher tensile strength (so you need less of it)

It could have been that way, per amount of material used, the only difference between a B2 1st stage and a Tx 1st stage is the yoke clamp. Other then that, the same amount of metal is used despite Ti is stronger. After all, the interior dimension must be the same because they share same size component. The exterior dimension is also the same. Weight saving is 7oz (1lb-6oz vs 15oz).

A lot of the important B2 internals are Ti also - just not the 1st stage body which is chrome/brass..

Right, 2nd stage between B2, ST1 and Tx are exactly the same except the blings. Difference is 1st stage material used. The Ti in these 2nd stages are the inlet tube.

Practically, the better corrosion resistant of Tx or ST1 1st stage is not going to make much difference. After all, most reg are brass. They don't have problem for 20-30 year if not more. But sure, if money is no object, or if you find a good deal, I dont see why not. But at $1000, I will not go for it. But that is just me

Last edited:

It is really your personal preference. I like mine, but I didn't pay $1k. The additional cost for Ti is mainly for aesthetic

One thing I can tell you is Ti although is stronger in term of tensile strength, it is NOT harder or more scratch resistant. I have more scratches in my Tx 1st stage than my M1 (Chrome plated brass) 1st stage. The advantage of Tx or ST1 in this aspect is they are homogeneous metal with brushed finishes. They hide scratches better. Chrome plated brass if chip, it will look more obvious.

Other then that, the same amount of metal is used despite Ti is stronger.

True, because the parts are geometrically identical, even though they could be thinner and lighter. The reality is it would be much more expensive to remove the extra Titanium and sell it back as scrap than just to leave it. Brass, which is the least expensive to machine and more expensive than Stainless/unit of weight, often makes sense to remove economically.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom