Question Atomic T2 service / upgrade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver-x

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been out of diving for about 15 years and recently decided to get back into it. I started looking at some gear based off what I used to dive and I scored a 2nd hand T2 w/ titanium SS1 for $500. It seemed like too good of a price to pass up so I bought it. Everything checks out so far, it's in good condition and there are no leaks. Being that I don't know it's full history I am going to have it fully serviced before divining it. My question to the community is around the nitrox use. Supposedly the T2 is a either/or use regulator (which doesn't make much sense but whatever) that you can "upgrade" to a T2X. The kit, as far as I can tell, is part number "01-0503-5P" isn't available anymore. I called Atomic tech support and they said that the individual parts are available but they wouldn't give me a list (i'm not a service tech). After reading this post it seems like very few parts are actually changed in the first stage (Atomic T2 to T2X upgrade - is it worth $500?!)

Does anyone have an more recent experience with this? Assuming normal recreational levels of Nitrox use, does it really make sense to try to source the parts (the kit alone was MAP $191)?

All help is appreciated.

In that other thread you probably read what I wrote a dozen plus years ago. It still holds true. IMHO I would just have it service if needed and go dive it with either air or NITROX.

FWIW I just picked some old T1s all I am going to do is put a monel piston in and seal it.

You can dive it with nitrox as is. No need to change any parts. This is true of pretty much any regulator on the market in the last 25 years. Since it's used, get it serviced. Which will cost a couple hundred dollars...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom