Atomic T2 concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarbonZTT

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I put a T2 on my Christmas wish list, and ended having one waiting under the tree for me much to my surprise:D Once I started reading the manual though, which was like right away, I was bumed to find out that I can't swap between ean mixes and compressed air. I'm nitrox certified and would like to have a reg that can be used with compressed air and mixes under ean40. This will be for rec diving only. I know Ti has a higher risk of fire hazard, but seriously how dangerous could it be? lol famous last words... I talked to a lds about it, and was told that as long as I'm careful I'll be fine. Assuming I had my reg filled with clean contaminate free air, I could use it for both without real potential probs right? The only prob is how trust worthy the air I'm getting is. I just don't want to shell out 600 bucks on a B2 so I can have a T2 that'd I'd only use half the time.

BTW I am well aware that the manual says not too, I'm just looking for real world advice. flame away if you want lol:wink:

CarbonZTT:
I was bumed to find out that I can't swap between ean mixes and compressed air.

I have a Scubapro S600Mk25 Setup and switch between Air and eanx32 with no problems reported so far:D . I don't think that you would would have a problem with your Atomic. I just think they are covering there butts.

CatalinaCanuck:
I just think they are covering there butts.

Thats what my lds said.

Do you have the S600T?

You can switch all you want as long as you use hyperfiltered (Nitrox compatible) air.

If the shop mixes it's own nitrox using partial-pressure blending (dump in the required O2, then add air), the hyperfiltered air is clean enough for you to use. If it wasn't they risk blowing themselves up, which they tend to not want to do.

The warning refers to a fire hazard if you contaminate your reg with non-o2 compatible air.

As long as you stick to hyperfill and only use shops you trust (and that get their air analyzed regularly), you won't have any problems.

Terry

CarbonZTT:
I put a T2 on my Christmas wish list, and ended having one waiting under the tree for me much to my surprise:D Once I started reading the manual though, which was like right away, I was bumed to find out that I can't swap between ean mixes and compressed air. I'm nitrox certified and would like to have a reg that can be used with compressed air and mixes under ean40. This will be for rec diving only. I know Ti has a higher risk of fire hazard, but seriously how dangerous could it be? lol famous last words... I talked to a lds about it, and was told that as long as I'm careful I'll be fine. Assuming I had my reg filled with clean contaminate free air, I could use it for both without real potential probs right? The only prob is how trust worthy the air I'm getting is. I just don't want to shell out 600 bucks on a B2 so I can have a T2 that'd I'd only use half the time.

BTW I am well aware that the manual says not too, I'm just looking for real world advice. flame away if you want lol:wink:

Atomics has a different warning for the T2 than their other regs. For the B2/Z1/Z2 they say it's ok to swap back and forth between nitrox and "minimum dive industry purity" standard air.

OTOH, they recommend against using the T2 with both EAN and "standard" air. As Webmonkey notes -- using hyperfilter air aka EAN21 should be fine.

I use an old B1, and ignore the recommendation to dedicate it to either air or nitrox, but it is strange that after going to the more liberal recommendation for the B2 and other later regs, that they have gone back to the "gotta dedicate it" warning for their very newest reg.

To me it looks like they are nervous about the titanium 1st stage components being ignited by what would be a minor, unnoticed combustion of oil traces in a brass 1st stage.

Atomic Aquatics Reg Manual:
SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH FROM FIRE OR EXPLOSION.
NITROX (EAN) USE — T2 ONLY
At time of purchase, you must decide if this regulator is to be used with EAN
or standard compressed air. If you desire to use EAN, this product must be
dedicated for EAN only and identified as such. Do not switch between EAN and
standard compressed air, as compressed air may contain traces of hydrocarbons
which could contaminate your regulator system with potentially flammable
residues incompatible with EAN. If you use or test this regulator with compressed
air, it must be re-cleaned before EAN use.
B2, Z1/Z2
These regulators may be used interchangeably with air or EAN mixes of up to
40% oxygen concentration at 3500 psi maximum. They need not be dedicated
for EAN use, provided that they are used with air or EAN mixtures that meet
minimum dive industry purity standards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom