Atomic Splits: Which Drysuit Are You Using With Them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

man, i feel sorry for you guys that have to dive in the cold. i'm uncomfortable just reading what you guys are writing. wow! but i really respect that you are still out there doing your thing. i just can't imagine diving in cold water; for me it's the tropics or nothing. here's to ya!

I tried the Atomics on the Seasoft attached boots and the fit was
lousy, which is why I had my Seasoft suit made with socks instead of boots.
I use both XL Atomic splits and Turtles, with size 12 DUI rock boots on
a Seasoft Ti3000 suit.

Also, I think the Atomics will give trouble with other brands of boots. I
wasn't able to actually try them, but the folks at Hoodsport 'n Dive were pretty sure
the size 12 whites boots wouldn't fit the XL Atomics. The DUI boots are
a bit lower profile than most, because they have a flat sole, while the whites
stick up quite a bit. But then again, my foot is slightly larger than yours,
an 11 may work OK. The Turtles are a breeze, I think they will fit pretty much
anything. I'm liking them right now just because they're so easy to get into and out
of (with huge foot pockets+addon springs) and because they are so tough, but they
are nowhere near as fast as the atomics. They are also just negative enough that I'm
comfortable with no ankle weights even as a relative newcomer to drysuits. My
atomics (the red ones) are actually positive (even in fw), and I really need a pound or
so on each foot with them right now, although I suspect that I'll be able to drop this
after a few more dives with them.

Thanks TekRegugee. The day you posted. I use 2 lb. ankel weights with them/drysuit.
I asked my LDS/owner/buddy if I'd likely get rid of ankle weights once I got more experienced and she said that pretty much everyone permanently needs ankle weights with drysuits to keep the air out of the attatched boots if for no other reason. Using negative fins I could-maybe get away with not using them but she thought it a good idea to use them anyway even if I went to something lighter with neg. fins.

What's everyone's experience in this regard?

I just personally hate the idea of adding weight on the ankles - extra mass on your feet takes energy to move, and energy costs O2. Why not into a sock suit or gaiters or some other solution if you have too much trapped air in the feet. Again,
I'm using a heavier fin than my atomics right now, but in my sock suit I think I'll
be able to manage the atomics without weight after a few more dives. Perhaps
not but I sure hope so. You haven't bought the suit yet, why not go for a sock style?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom