Atomic Splits: Which Drysuit Are You Using With Them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm currently renting Diving Concepts Neo Z drysuits with atttched boots. I may eventually buy another D.C. suit but may also buy a DUI (probably without Rockboots) attatched boot.

I'd like to know what suits with attatched boots are fitting XL Atomic Split Fins without problems? I'd hate to buy the fins and find out later that they won't fit, say, a DUI suit.
If I have to I'll rent some and run around to regional suit dealers but some experiences from other divers first would help until I can arrange all of that. With the Atomic's flexy opening it seems like they'd fit most boots?

Anyone here use attatched bootie drysuits and XL Atomics?Thanks! Jim T.

I used to dive a drysuit with Atomic Split fins. They fit over the boots of my OSS dry suit but I stopped using them (i) because they felt to mushy for real power in brisk current and (ii) it was tighten the straps without having them release.

I found jet fins with spring straps to be the better bet for my style of drysuit diving.

I use Atomic Split fins with spring straps and a Dive Rite 905 Dry Suit. I have no complaints and have not experienced any problem in current or calm. The spring straps are after market and not Atomic supplied.

skbrdvr1, Just for clarification, you're diving in XL size Atomics, right? Which brand of springs are you using ?

Divepartner1, I'll be using Turtles or Jets for close quarters stuff but I want to do the Atomics for a lot of other dives. Thanks guys. Please keep the feedback coming. I will probably have to commit by Thurs.

It's encouraging that these fins seem to indeed fit a variety of drysuit attached boots. DUI anyone? Oh, by the way I wear a size 11 street shoe.

Thanks!

I'm using large Splitfins with the spring strap from Innivative Scuba. Works GREAT

I came up with a way to make ends for Atomics. More work than other fins but I think they came out nice:

apollo.jpg

apolloside.jpg

apolloside2.jpg

apollotop.jpg

That's cool Wayward. Your design is almost the same as the one for the Atomics from Innovative Scuba. Their spring has a ring on the end. You pop the pin out of the existing buckle, slide on a spacer and the spring and a spacer ...and you're in business!

I don't have any extra parts. They fit the post snugly. In fact, I have to have a fin on hand to hand fit the ends. There isn't enough room in front of them, so they can't pop all the way off. To put them on or remove them, you rotate the end vertical & then push or pull. Once on the post, rotate it back down & it's secure.

I don't own any Atomics, but my LDS lets me borrow one when I need to make some ends.

I use the Atomic Bio black and a DUI clx 450 with rock boots. My LDS let me try a bunch of fins in their pool before purchase. Quite amazing the difference between fins, even between the Bio blacks and the XT's. Also tried the SP split jets. I ended up with the blacks. The amount of leg strain over time was the deciding factor and the speed was equal. See if you can try them out first. I have size 12 rock boots and XL fins. These are easy to don and not so easy to doff.

747. thanks for the DUI rockboot feedback. I did try on the bios. Their relative shortness compared with the Atomics appealed but having come from the Rocket/Jet fin early days, I feel most comfortable with a relatively hard/stiff bladed split fin.
The length of the Atomics took/is taking some getting used to, but at least at this stage of the game I could frog kick better with the Atomics. By the way, the Atomics you used, I presume were also XL? It sure SEEMS like their soft topped pocket would work with a lage variety of suits/boots. That's what I'm hoping anyway. I also liked the Atomics best for on the back surface swimming so far. I agree with many that their strap/buckle system is extremely well though out and easy to use. I likely will go with springs eventually though but no hurry just yet. Thanks for your pics Wayward Son. Just curious, why are you making them for Atomics but don't own them yourself? Is there a big local market for you?

I'll be picking up the Atomics this afternoon as I've committed now.

Yes, it IS quite amazing the difference between fins and how they feel/work for individual divers. I've tried lots of brands in pool swims and liked/disliked something about all of them. VERY frustrating! I actually hated the Atomics in pool swims but once I dove them with all my coldwater gear on, I ended up feeling quite pleased with them. There will be a learning curve and getting used to them further, but I think between them and Turtles/Jets I'll be covered.

I originally considered the bios because I might be able to do without ankle weights but ended up going for the extra stiffness of the Atomics. Only time will tell if I love them completely or not. It would help if fins weren't as spendy these days as they are!

Thanks guys and gals. I'd stll be glad to hear of even more attatched booted drysuits folks are using with XL (only) Atomic fins as I'll be renting several before deciding on a brand of suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom