Atomic Split Fin Sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm in need of advice on fin sizing. I just bought a pair of Atomic Split Fins over the internet, size XL. I'm using a 5mm bootie (Scubamax), size 11. Prior to buying, I called Atomic and this is the size they recommended.

The foot opening in the Atomic seems like a cavern, especially compared to the Aeris Velocity I've been using (size L/XL). Part of what I don't like about the Velocity is the fact that the opening is pretty small and tough to get into quickly. Not comforting being a relatively new guy in the California surf. I already tried practicing putting these on quickly in the garage, and failed miserably.

Question is, how exactly is a fin supposed to fit? I can tighten the straps so they're snug. There doesn't seem to be much play side to side about mid-foot, but there's a good size gap between the top left and right of the bootie and the foot pocket. I assume in the water they'll be a little more snug, but once they're wet, I can't exchange them. They don't feel like they're falling off, but they don't feel nearly as secure as the Velocitys.

Thanks!
Kevin

scubacalifornia:
I'm in need of advice on fin sizing. I just bought a pair of Atomic Split Fins over the internet, size XL. I'm using a 5mm bootie (Scubamax), size 11. Prior to buying, I called Atomic and this is the size they recommended.

The foot opening in the Atomic seems like a cavern, especially compared to the Aeris Velocity I've been using (size L/XL). Part of what I don't like about the Velocity is the fact that the opening is pretty small and tough to get into quickly. Not comforting being a relatively new guy in the California surf. I already tried practicing putting these on quickly in the garage, and failed miserably.

Question is, how exactly is a fin supposed to fit? I can tighten the straps so they're snug. There doesn't seem to be much play side to side about mid-foot, but there's a good size gap between the top left and right of the bootie and the foot pocket. I assume in the water they'll be a little more snug, but once they're wet, I can't exchange them. They don't feel like they're falling off, but they don't feel nearly as secure as the Velocitys.

Thanks!
Kevin

A couple of things for your consideration.

Here is a pic of Atomic Fins over Rock Boots (size 9.) as you can see, the Large is on my toes, essentially, and the XL is what I would call a proper fit.

For me, I want the fin to be an extention of my foot. So I like it when my foot is deep into the foot pocket, and there is little to no side-to-side wiggle.

That said, if you have narrow feet, this may be a tough call. You may want to move up to boots if they're not tight enough, or move down - but at a size 11, I would believe an XL should be the ticket.

As to the quiock don in the surf, nothing beats spring straps for speed. A quick flick of the wrist and they're on.

K

I decided to call Atomic once again. This time, they told me the XL's are designed to fit a size 11.5 - 13, and the Larges are 8-11. The XL just seemed too big, with play in the foot pocket, the bootie heel almost all the way into the pocket, and the strap almost at the end of it's adjustment. So I exchanged them for a Large which just showed up yesterday. By the way, Leisure Pro has been great to deal with on the exchange and didn't charge me anything to reship the new ones by UPS 3-day. The Large is significantly smaller than the XL, but I think useable, and I suspect I'm just in between sizes. There's no play in the pocket, the bootie heel extends about 2" out of the foot pocket, and they have room to adjust in both directions. There's certainly no extra room in the pocket, but they feel snug and secure. Great buckles too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom