Atomic service cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buying import regs from deep 6/hog/dive rite, selling them when they need service, and then buying a new set ends up being as cost effective if you take advantage of black friday sales if you don't DIY

I'd love to own an Atomic because the idea of an exquisitely machined, first-world made, STAINLESS STEEL regulator is very appealing even if they are expensive. But I just can't get behind piston designs for the kind of diving I do. Wish they made a diaphragm reg.

I'd love to own an Atomic because the idea of an exquisitely machined, first-world made, STAINLESS STEEL regulator is very appealing. But I just can't get behind piston designs for the kind of diving I do. Wish they made a diaphragm reg.

SS is not as good as most people seem to think... Chromed brass is still better in general and there are plenty of first world made regulators with equivalent machining...

$30 first stage parts
$40-2x second stage parts
$15 for tribolube though likely charging more for that
$35/stage*3=$100

Call it $200 and I can see that as reasonable to charge because that's what Airtech is going to charge. $260-$280 is crazy, but I just struggle with paying to waste all of that money on an inferior sealing technology
Those prices are outrageous. I paid $220 Canadian last time I took my M1 for service (just 1st and 2nd stage). So that’s like $160 USD. Even at that price I’d rather service it myself next time. And yes, not nearly as good as diaphragm sealing but the best option for piston.

Those prices are outrageous. I paid $220 Canadian last time I took my M1 for service (just 1st and 2nd stage). So that’s like $160 USD. Even at that price I’d rather service it myself next time. And yes, not nearly as good as diaphragm sealing but the best option for piston.

220 in monopoly money is $175 ish right now, but Airtech charges pretty premium prices, though you get what you pay for with them and you can actually trust that the regs were rebuilt properly unlike most dive shops

Speaking personally, lube cost is only 25-50% of Atomic sealing. The tools to "auto-fill" all leave voids, and hand filling a piston/spring complex with a syringe and inserting it in a lube-lined reg body to ensure ZERO voids is a painstaking 20 minute effort. And the fill itself should be done after an initial complete service and test. Which means that the fill is a second disassembly/reassembly. Add cleanup of what is indeed a messy process and I can't argue with any charge under $60 for environmental sealing.

I really like Atomic, a very nice piston system, I think a MK 17 is much easier to seal.

I am starting a new thread because I am changing topics, but this has grown out of my Aqualung reg problems thread if anyone needs context.

About an hour ago, I stopped by a LDS to inquire about their reg service costs and few other things. In the process, I got a sales pitch for Atomic regs. I used Atomics years ago and stopped because I kept encountering issues with rinsing/soaking and the seat saver, or more precisely, with not letting dive op employees “take care of the regs” because they typically either dumped or dunked the regs in a tank.

Anyway, LDS offered me what I guess is a good price on Atomics, basically a 20% savings off retail. I became mildly interested and I asked what the 3 year service cost was on a T3. Labor, parts and sealing is $280.00 assuming a regular octo and not the SS1.

I don't dive cold water, so I suppose I could forgo the Christolube, but I like the idea of a sealed first stage anyway.

I was kind of shocked. Is that low, high, average? I was going to call Atomic and ask what their factory service cost is...I assume they still do that? But I see they no longer list a phone number on their webpage and instead want a form filled out with any questions.

Wow! $280 service charge. And that is why I avoid Atomic like its covered in Corona.

You could buy a brand new Deep6 first stage for that price.

Considering that I only service my ST1/B2/M1 every 5 years with heavy use, and I actually go longer between servicing without ANY issues, it is a very low cost of ownership compared with all other regulators yet I have the best performance and reliability compared with all others.

$280 is too high btw, it should be around $200 for one sealed first stage with two Atomic seconds. $200 every 4 years comes to $50/year at the most but it can be less for 5 or 6 years between servicing. That's the cost of one or two meals at a fast food restaurant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom