Atomic service cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am starting a new thread because I am changing topics, but this has grown out of my Aqualung reg problems thread if anyone needs context.

About an hour ago, I stopped by a LDS to inquire about their reg service costs and few other things. In the process, I got a sales pitch for Atomic regs. I used Atomics years ago and stopped because I kept encountering issues with rinsing/soaking and the seat saver, or more precisely, with not letting dive op employees “take care of the regs” because they typically either dumped or dunked the regs in a tank.

Anyway, LDS offered me what I guess is a good price on Atomics, basically a 20% savings off retail. I became mildly interested and I asked what the 3 year service cost was on a T3. Labor, parts and sealing is $280.00 assuming a regular octo and not the SS1.

I don't dive cold water, so I suppose I could forgo the Christolube, but I like the idea of a sealed first stage anyway.

I was kind of shocked. Is that low, high, average? I was going to call Atomic and ask what their factory service cost is...I assume they still do that? But I see they no longer list a phone number on their webpage and instead want a form filled out with any questions.

My last atomic service was about $115 for a sealed first and $65 for a second. That was the first stage version without the swivel and guessing it would be about the same for the other versions. I usually pay about $260 for my sealed ST1 with second and octo.

they get $35 labor per stage and the rest is "parts".

Are they saying 3 years with the titanium first stage? Guess I should add another year for my ST1.

They say 3 years or 300 dives for the T3, 2 years/300 on the other models.

Christolube is VERY expensive and a good bit of it goes into the chamber, like more than a lifetime supply to rebuild a regulator each time you pack.

I'd avoid Atomic, 20% off isn't enough to deal with that service cost and PITA factor of sealing the things.

My last service 2 months ago for my Atomic M1 sealed first stage and M1 second as well as a M1 Octo was $210 from Diventure in Nebraska. I don't think that is so bad especially if its a 2-3 year 300dive...That included shipping and sales tax back to me

Look into a Scubapro Mk19/G260 or Deep6 Signature series.

I like the way Atomics breath but see no reason to service them till 300- 400 cycles unless I start feeling a difference in how they breath. I have access to tubes of DuPont Krytox lube at work so I normally hand one to my favorite tech in Mexico and pay around $65 to get the set reworked.

Christolube is VERY expensive and a good bit of it goes into the chamber, like more than a lifetime supply to rebuild a regulator each time you pack.

I'd avoid Atomic, 20% off isn't enough to deal with that service cost and PITA factor of sealing the things.
Cristolube or Tribolube can be found for $40/2 oz which should be more than enough for one reg. Lowest price I found online was $24. Some shops charge $80-100 which is ridiculous.

Probably not a fair comparison but I rebuilt my Atomic B2 1st and 2nd stage myself for the cost of $35 in parts. I just used silicone since the highest nitrox I ever go is 32% and I don't lend out that reg. The manuals are all online and the parts easily obtainable. It was the first time the reg had been overhauled since I got it new in 2003 and it was still breathing fine. The Cristolube in there was pretty caked however. I know that not everyone overhauls their own regs but I'd go broke if I had to pay someone to overhaul all of mine. I just figured you should overhaul your regs at least once every 17 years whether you need to or not. :)

Cristolube or Tribolube can be found for $40/2 oz which should be more than enough for one reg. Lowest price I found online was $24. Some shops charge $80-100 which is ridiculous.

$30 first stage parts
$40-2x second stage parts
$15 for tribolube though likely charging more for that
$35/stage*3=$100

Call it $200 and I can see that as reasonable to charge because that's what Airtech is going to charge. $260-$280 is crazy, but I just struggle with paying to waste all of that money on an inferior sealing technology

Back
Top Bottom