Atomic Regulators (incl. SS1)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a B2 and a SS1 mounted on a Scuba PRO KnightHawk. Beside the fact that there is a 200 dive or two year service interval on the regulators, (the beauty of Titanium's anti corrosion properties and the unloaded orifice seal), they both breathe so well. I swim inverted occasionally and some other regulators I tried suddenly have a reduced flow rate or greater effort to inhale while inverted.
The SS1 is a quick disconnect so I remove it easily to travel or during BCD rinse out.
As far as a secondary safety device, I brief the "you take my main secondary on the long hose and I'll breathe the SS1 if we need to buddy breathe" during our pre dive safty checkout.
I have used it on routine dives to check out its operation at depth and high air consumption times. It is better that any of the other regs I have used except for the B2, and another high price$$$ reg I borrowed before I bought the B2. I would rate them equal.

I have the T1, B2, and SS1. I've tested the SS1 at 120' and it breathed fine. The issue as Larry touched on is if you buddy has an OOA situation and you donate your primary and switch to the SS1. More than likely, he/she will be a little paniced and will likely be breathing hard until he/she calms down. Thats when you care how the reg performs -- but thats largely a function of the 1st stage.

On my Escape, I have a Tusa DuoPro (same as ScubaPro). I have had no problems with it, don't find the buttons too difficult to depress, and I have tested it at 100'+ and it breathed fine as well.

Ignoring the debate of using safe seconds at all, the only safe second I dislike is the Zeagle. To orally inflate, you breathe into a different orifice (on the side - no mouthpiece) than you breathe from as a 2nd stage. In an OOA situation on the surface, its possible that a panicing diver would 'forget' this and not be able to orally inflate his/her BCD which could be a bummer if his/her buddy isn't there to assist.

Otter:
Ignoring the debate of using safe seconds at all, the only safe second I dislike is the Zeagle. To orally inflate, you breathe into a different orifice (on the side - no mouthpiece) than you breathe from as a 2nd stage. In an OOA situation on the surface, its possible that a panicing diver would 'forget' this and not be able to orally inflate his/her BCD which could be a bummer if his/her buddy isn't there to assist.

Actually, that's my favorite feature! You are the one who is going to orally inflate it, and if you own one, that is the way you orally inflate your bc every time you rinse it out... so if that is the method you are used to, you will be used to that - doubt you'd want to do it some other way.

Now on to why that is the best feature... If you are on the octo inflator, it means someone has run out of air and you're going up. As you do, the air in your bc will expand, and when you try to dump air, you are going to be blasting the air out of the BC into your lungs... No thanks. The zeagle system is the only one where the exhaust air and inhaled air are not mixed. And the buttons are easier to use by pushing with your thumb instead of fingers.

scubatoys:
Actually, that's my favorite feature! You are the one who is going to orally inflate it, and if you own one, that is the way you orally inflate your bc every time you rinse it out... so if that is the method you are used to, you will be used to that - doubt you'd want to do it some other way.

Good point. My limited experience with them has been with new divers. I guess one would get used to it after a few dives. Now as long as the OOA diver is capable of inflating and/or their buddy (rescuer) is aware of how to inflate properly. Obviously a good buddy would/should.

scubatoys:
Now on to why that is the best feature... If you are on the octo inflator, it means someone has run out of air and you're going up. As you do, the air in your bc will expand, and when you try to dump air, you are going to be blasting the air out of the BC into your lungs... No thanks. The zeagle system is the only one where the exhaust air and inhaled air are not mixed. And the buttons are easier to use by pushing with your thumb instead of fingers.

Ok...so how about they are just ugly :)

[/QUOTE]
"As you do, the air in your bc will expand, and when you try to dump air, you are going to be blasting the air out of the BC into your lungs... No thanks. The zeagle system is the only one where the exhaust air and inhaled air are not mixed. And the buttons are easier to use by pushing with your thumb instead of fingers". [/I]

I disagree, If you are in that rare condition where your buddy is AOO, on your main reg, and you are on the SS1, ascending, to vent the BCD you would pull the tube on the inflater by grasping it between the SS1 and the shoulder, opening the shoulder vent. I have practiced this and hope to never have to perform it.
Lifting the reg higher than the shoulder vent to dump air would be do-able but awkward. You would do what, take the reg out of your mouth for a moment?

No, you don't have to take it out. Since the bc only comes up to your shoulders, and the octo is in your mouth, just pushing on the exhaust will let the air come out. On me, anyway, my head is above my shoulders. :wink:

Pulling on the hose kinda works, but really when opening the shoulder re valve, it is pulling on the stainless cable that runs through it that causes the valve to open. You can do it by pulling on the hose - and that's why some companies like Aeris / Oceanic put a pull ball half way up the hose - pull on that, but I have no problem venting the RKO with it in my mouth if I'm in an upright position.... which I would be if ascending.

But I might have to give in to that ugly comment... :D

The SS1 is not the greatest retrofit with a SeaQuest hose. You have to turn the hose upside down for the power inflator hose to attach to the SS1, and it is also much thicker than a normal power inflator hose, so it feels like its putting a lot of pressure on the clips that keep it in place on the SeaQuest. I previously had a Balance and I returned my SS1 because the fit was so poor, now I got another SS1 since I switched to Zeagle.

BigTuna:
Larry,
I've been wondering about "ease of use," never having used an inflator-reg. Thanks.

To add to the story, how would an SS1 retrofit onto a Seaquest vest BCD or any other BCD? Does the entire inflator assembly get replaced? Is the net length of the new inflator hose longer, to make it easier to look around and keep it in my mouth?

I have ScubaPro primary and secondary regs. Would I be creating a servicing problem if I mix and match? Relatively speaking, is the Atomic expensive to service? Can I service it myself (assuming I have the tools and am handy)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom