Atomic Regulators (incl. SS1)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know it's very interesting that everyone asks about how easy they breathe. I'll tell you, I'm actually more concerned with how well it works as an inflator. I have thousands of dives... and never once had an out of air situation. Never! If the situation ever did arrive... which it probably won't, I really won't mind too much if the reg I'm breathing on is not the best performing in the world. It's only going to be for a few minutes... I'll deal with it!

A very important thing that most overlook, is how easy is it to use as an inflator, as that will happen every dive... multiple times - unlike the maybe 1 in 5000 out of air scenario.

So with that in mind, the atomic has nice buttons, and the zeagle is also nice as an inflator as the buttons get pushed with your thumb which is a lot stronger than fingers. I find dealing with the scubapro one to be a pain - much harder to push.

Just another take on the whole octo inflator thing! :wink:

scubatoys:
You know it's very interesting that everyone asks about how easy they breathe. I'll tell you, I'm actually more concerned with how well it works as an inflator. I have thousands of dives... and never once had an out of air situation. Never! If the situation ever did arrive... which it probably won't, I really won't mind too much if the reg I'm breathing on is not the best performing in the world. It's only going to be for a few minutes... I'll deal with it!

A very important thing that most overlook, is how easy is it to use as an inflator, as that will happen every dive... multiple times - unlike the maybe 1 in 5000 out of air scenario.

So with that in mind, the atomic has nice buttons, and the zeagle is also nice as an inflator as the buttons get pushed with your thumb which is a lot stronger than fingers. I find dealing with the scubapro one to be a pain - much harder to push.

Just another take on the whole octo inflator thing!
03.gif

I have to agree with the Scuba Pro's buttons being hard to push. It shouldnt be that hard!! The SSI is on my list of things to buy in the future. I have a Z1 and love it.

Does scubatoys sell Atomics? Thye aren't on their website but the reason for that is obvious.

Love my M1 setup, seems very reliable and is incredibly comfortable to use in the water (no jaw fatigue even on long dives). Can't help you with the SS1 but I would definitely agree with what Larry (scubatoys) said above.

BigTuna:
Opinions on Atomic regulators and comparisons with other brands? What about their "safe second" (connects to LP hose)?

I have the SS1, it provides a huge amount of air, its great, but I'd make sure you have a long and pliable enough hose on your BC. I dive the Zeagle Stiletto and its hose is perfect. SeaQuest hoses don't work too well.

Atomic makes some of the best performing regs, but I'll always stick with trusty old Scubapro, whose replacement parts are available anywhere and everywhere.

Hey Dyarab, yes Scubatoys does sell Atomics. Have been to their store twice. Great selection on all kinds of equipment. But I don't see why the don't have Atomics on thier website.

I think I tried breathing from it the first 2 or 3 dives but that was quite a few dives ago. It breaths fine.

What Larry, ScubaToy's, said is really the fact that matters. If I had to switch because my primary failed I'm on my way to the surface so if it breaths at all I'm in good shape.

BigTuna:
How does the SS1 breathe? I'm wondering because LP regulators have a reputation of being poor breathers, altho they work OK for getting you to the surface. On the other hand, Scuba Mag says it breathes better than some primary second stages. Have you compared it with others for breathing?

scubatoys:
...A very important thing that most overlook, is how easy is it to use as an inflator...

Larry,
I've been wondering about "ease of use," never having used an inflator-reg. Thanks.

To add to the story, how would an SS1 retrofit onto a Seaquest vest BCD or any other BCD? Does the entire inflator assembly get replaced? Is the net length of the new inflator hose longer, to make it easier to look around and keep it in my mouth?

I have ScubaPro primary and secondary regs. Would I be creating a servicing problem if I mix and match? Relatively speaking, is the Atomic expensive to service? Can I service it myself (assuming I have the tools and am handy)?

Won't get much chance to write now... I'm in Vegas at Dema for a few days... but here you go...

The SS1 will fit on anything really... There are 3 different diameter hoses in the world, and they supply 3 fittings to fit any of them. The only thing is if the hose is angle cut (like some seaquest) or has a string instead of a cable (some mares/dacor) you may have to become McGyver for a bit to install it. A snip here, a cut there... nothing too tough. And that is on very few units. Everything else... bolts right up.

As far as longer?? Not really. It replaces your stock end, it is probably an inch longer than the stock one, so maybe a bit. But if you have to put your alternate in your mouth... (and again... over 5000 dives - never once have I had to) you are not going to be doing a lot of looking around. You're going up.

Hope that helps!

axeman207:
Hey Dyarab, yes Scubatoys does sell Atomics. Have been to their store twice. Great selection on all kinds of equipment. But I don't see why the don't have Atomics on thier website.

I'm pretty sure Atomic prohibits the sell of their merchandise online. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. But I'm pretty sure that's it.

I have a B2 and had an SS1 but recently switched to a Z1 as my alternate. The buttons on the SS1 were great and easy to use and it breathed pretty well, although awkward if you ever had to use it.

I agree that if I had to use a secondary in an OOA situation, I wouldn't really care if it breaths a little harder, as long as it works I'm ok with that. I also agree that I'd be more concerned with the inflator as that's what you'll use every dive.

Because the inflator button is mounted on the side of the unit, the button would frequently get depressed and inflate the wing while donning gear as it got caught a here and there. It's a bit bulkier but no huge deal.

I was on a charter and there was a serious accident where a diver died. Thankfully it wasn't my buddy and it wasn't an OOA situation but it made me re-evaluate the safety of my configuration. Not that the SS1 is unsafe, but a regular octo is easier to use, and in an overwhelming situation, it may be very difficult to use the deflator and keep breathing and concentrate on saving yours or someone else’s life... and it really pulls as it's on a short corrugated hose.

Having a regular secondary on a dog collar, I find that the regular inflator is less obtrusive and my secondary is not even remotely noticeable on a dive.. it's like it's not even there.... but it's right there if I need it.

So in short, I'm not here to bash octo inflators but just offer a different viewpoint. I'd say the SS1 is the best octo/inflator available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom