Atomic Regulator Service Costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting contrast to the current Atomic factory service pricing from 2009:

Some dive shops take it too far, which Bret Gilliam, former Uwatec CEO and frequent Undercurrent contributor, told us from recent experience. “I use an Atomic Aquatics titanium regulator that I return directly to Atomic for servicing every three to five years. When I took it to the local dealer and told them to do a regular service and replace the diaphragm cover, the bill was over $300. This regulator is $1,200 retail, so the service was 25 percent of the total price I paid. My jaw nearly dropped to the floor, but that didn’t prompt the staff to explain the cost. They did tell me they were giving me a discount because I was an industry pro, but God knows what they charge a regular diver. When I called Atomic, they said it was unconscionable, and the price should have been closer to $100.”

Wheezy,
If you had already made your decision, I don't understand your original post. But, regardless of the reason, I am sure that you will be pleased with your choice.

If you are serious about doing your own reg service, you will find that parts are available, and if you can rebuild a carburetor, you will find a reg rebuild to be childsplay. And, upon inspection, you will find, that a reg can often go far longer between rebuilds than even the most generous manufacturers recommendation.

I hadn't made up my mind and was looking for feedback. I also found it odd that their prices have gone up and that their sales pitch is also totally different. They openly admit, you pay more, but you get a bit more. (They replace all the external plastic and they actually dive the reg).

For a USED reg with unknown history, I decided through the course of this thread I would in fact pony up the $$$ for this particular service.

Back
Top Bottom