Atomic Regulator Correct Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Midas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just picked up my new Atomic Regulator and it came with it set up as per the picture link attached below.

Buy Atomic Aquatics Z2X Swivel Sealed Regulator Gray from Leisure Pro

When set up on my tank it seems very odd. Generally I am used to that hose being attached to the sides rather than the top (Sorry I know I am not using the correct terminology as I am a new diver). I find this hits the back of my head and makes it very uncomfortable. When I told the store where I bought the regulator they said that if I were to move it then it will lose performance quality. Is this true?

That is the "high flow" port. You can freely change the hose to any low pressure port you desire without any significant change in performance, oh, say, down to 500 feet, give or take. Some people like that routing, some do not and it can be helpful on twin sets. Do what you want, it will be fine.

N

That is the "high flow" port.

What? I've heard of some diaphram regs (Tusa comes to mind) claiming that the LP ports closer to the diaphram deliver more flow, but AA piston first stages?

From the AA manual:

Your regulator has either 5 low-pressure (LP) ports on the swivel end of the
first stage (T2x, ST1, M1, B2) or 7 low pressure ports (Z2/Z2x) in a fixed orientation. Choose the ports that give you the best orientation for your particular set-up. The LP port plugs can be removed by unscrewing with a 5/32" (4mm) hex wrench. Install the LP hoses into the port and snug up with a wrench. Do not overtighten as this will not improve the seal and may damage the threads.

To the OP: put the damn thing on whatever LP port is most comfortable for you, as there will be exactly zero difference in performance.

That port theoretically flows more since the air doesn't have to make a 90 degree bend. You could roll the regulator so the bottom points towards your right hip like is done on a set of doubles. This would allow your hp hose to run cleaner under your left arm. This is just my suggestion as I seriously doubt anyone could tell the lack of performance by moving the lp hose to one of the side fittings if you like the regulator vertical instead of rolled a little.

This is a regulator, not a performance engine's intake manifold. Hose bends are going to have a greater on impact flow rate than this.

What? I've heard of some diaphram regs (Tusa comes to mind) claiming that the LP ports closer to the diaphram deliver more flow, but AA piston first stages?

From the AA manual:

To the OP: put the damn thing on whatever LP port is most comfortable for you, as there will be exactly zero difference in performance.

You not only cannot read between the lines, you cannot read the lines. I will stay with what I said.

N

This is a regulator, not a performance engine's intake manifold. Hose bends are going to have a greater on impact flow rate than this.

What the manufacturers presumably do to test flow is to connect the first stage to a HP air source with very high flow capacity, way more than a scuba tank valve. Then they push air through the first stage with all the ports open and measure flow. There is more flow out the end port than the side ports. Thus, the 'high flow' claim. In the real world, with the source being a scuba tank and flow limited by the 2nd stages and the tank valve, there is likely no flow difference between the ports. But this doesn't stop dealers from 'interpreting' the results of the flow test to claim that the end port offers higher breathing performance.

---------- Post added March 11th, 2013 at 07:48 PM ----------

Generally I am used to that hose being attached to the sides rather than the top (Sorry I know I am not using the correct terminology as I am a new diver). I find this hits the back of my head and makes it very uncomfortable. When I told the store where I bought the regulator they said that if I were to move it then it will lose performance quality. Is this true?

No it's not true. What's true is that the people working at your dive shop are not well informed and apparently are not shy about B.S.ing customers.

The end port works great for the long hose that is routed down and to the side. For typical recreational style 28" or so hose length routed over the right shoulder, point the turret down and use a side port. And maybe look for a new shop; if these guys can't get basic hose routing right, just think at the fun you'll have when they actually service the regulator.

I tried both the side, and central ports, no difference in breathing. The side ports let you use the swivel function, while the central is not. You can try to connect octo to the centre, it routes down and under your arm better (depends on your bc and body shape) as well as give more freedom for the swivel. May need some angle while attaching the reg to a tank, so the centre port pionts down the right hip/lovehandle to get some clearance between the octo hose and the tank. Then the swivel is only restricted by the HP hose stiffness and movement range.

I always thought that Atomic shipped in that config mainly so they would fit in the box better :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom