Atomic Regs for cold water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afm122

New
Reaction score
I am looking at purchasing a reg package and have narrowed it down to a few. A friend of mine really likes the Atomic regs, but I have heard they maynot be a very good choice for cold water diving. Is this true?

Any other recomendations?

afm122:
I am looking at purchasing a reg package and have narrowed it down to a few. A friend of mine really likes the Atomic regs, but I have heard they maynot be a very good choice for cold water diving. Is this true?

Any other recomendations?
Well, cold is a relative thing, but, being from Canada, I'd guess you know cold.

I own the Atomic M1, which is their cold water reg with an environmentally sealed 1st stage, and a heat sink in the second. I love the reg - loves how it breaths exactly the same at 10' of warm salt water as it does in 120' of cold fresh water.

The coldest I've dived mine is 34F. Lot's of dives in the upper thirties. I've never had a free-flow.

Same here. The coldest I've used my M1 was 34 degrees, and it worked just like it does in the summer in Florida.

Terry

Rick Inman:
Well, cold is a relative thing, but, being from Canada, I'd guess you know cold.

I own the Atomic M1, which is their cold water reg with an environmentally sealed 1st stage, and a heat sink in the second. I love the reg - loves how it breaths exactly the same at 10' of warm salt water as it does in 120' of cold fresh water.

The coldest I've dived mine is 34F. Lot's of dives in the upper thirties. I've never had a free-flow.

I have a B2 and have been at 110' @ 34-36 degrees many times and no free flows.

That same dive site has seen over 30 free flows this season just from one dive charter. I couldn't tell you if or how many were Atomic regulators though... I've never seen one free flow.

flyguy:
That same dive site has seen over 30 free flows this season just from one dive charter. I couldn't tell you if or how many were Atomic regulators though... I've never seen one free flow.
Don't tell anyone, but I've seen more than a few SP's free-flow. :11:

Hi,

My wife and I both use Atomic Z1s with environmental seal. So far so good in Lake Michigan, with most extreme case being 39 degF @ 80 feet (it was OK there even when I rather sucked hard for a bit under stress).

One more data point, hope that helps,
Walter

Thanks to all who have added their comments / experiences. Based on this information I will keep Atomics in the running.

I haven't been any lower than 60 ft (59 actually :wink: ) with my Z2 in about 49 F water and it was great. Mind you, all I used before were the cheap regs on the rentals... so it seems like heaven :wink:

Where in Canada are you and how cold is cold to you? :)

Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom