Atomic mask sealing difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warmwater Wank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've checked the Atomic website re: the new sub-frame and frameless masks. I'm left with the impression that the sub-frame is noted for ruggedness and the plus on the frameless is fit. I know there are many other benefits to these products but my concern is sealing. I'm on my 5th mask and it tends to leak like the previous 4, right around the cheek line ("smile line"), above the edges of my mouth (if that makes any sense). I'd qualify the leaks as "annoying" and infrequent, not a constant deluge.

What about the fit of these two Atomic masks; would one be more likely to seal better than the other? (I saw the Atomic mask ad in the latest Dive Training mag where they quote fellow SB'ers, so who better to ask this of?) I know, "try it on" but alas, no Atomic dealers nearby. Plus I tried on 3 previous masks that all fit fine in the store. Even with a reg in my mouth, none leaked a drop--but I don't do much diving on retail floor spaces :eyebrow: and these "surface tested" masks all leaked underwater. Would either of the Atomics tend to seal better than the other? // ww

(I've used Mares X-Vision original & also the Liquidskin, Cressi-Sub BigEyes, Aqualung Mythos and TUSA Viewtrek, my current mask)

Remember that the lower the volume the more any leak will be a PITA.

Pete

I recently started using the Atomics Frameless and I couldn't be happier with it. I have gone through so many masks and no matter how much money I spent they always leaked at the same point that you described. A boat captian told me I should try a frameless mask and the first one I tried was the scubapro frameless (not the frameless 2) and it worked like a charm. When Atomics came out with their version of the frameless I tried it and sure enough, no leaks and very very comfortable. Plus it has a wider field of vision than the scubapro mask. I use the black skirt but I know it also comes in clear. I hope that helps.

One other thing. I will say I always support my local LDS when possible, but since you said there were no Atomics Dealers near where you live I will tell you that you can get the frameless at "LP" for about $30.00 off retail.

Wank: I bought the Frameless based on the fit in the store and because I've always liked the unobstructed view of the single lens. I found that at 30-40 ft. I would get some leaking and pressure on my nose bridge. Bought the Sub-frame and the leaking was lessened and fit more comfortably on the nose bridge.

It really depends on the shape of your face. My wife and colleagues say that I have a big head and the Sub-frame seems to fit better. Actually, the best fit that I have experienced is the SeaVision (large nose cavity, wide skirt).

Looks like you'll have to borrow both of them to try out or take a chance on buying one or the other. Sorry for the bad news.....

I can atest to the fact that the Atomic glass does provide a clearer view than other masks I've used.

Here are some other related posts:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=166226

What I can add to this is that I dove a Mares X-Vision for about 3 years and it always leaked a little. Switched to the Atomic Subframe a few weeks ago...dry as a bone.

Cheers.

-J.-

Only 4 years since the original post ... but

As a fan of atomic gear (regulator and fins are just the best I have ever tried), I bought the subframe mask which seemed to fit well in the dive store.

It's a great mask, don't get me wrong, but about 1 in 2 or 3 dives it either leaks slightly, or fogs.

So I have just bought a atomic frameless mask, and I have to say for my face (probably a bit wider than most) it fits like a glove. Much better side by side in comparison to the subframe. IN fact it sits differently on my face, so clearly the design is different. I can't wait to try it underwater - most likely in an upcoming trip to Australia.

Just bought the frame less a couple weeks back. High cheek bones are my problem. 8 dives during a rescue class and not a problem one. I LOVED the wider field of vision as well. Fantastic product.

Kevin

As a dive guide, I enjoyed my Atomic ClearVu frameless for many dives after a broken tank rank crushed my old Scubapro. Only one thing bad,it does not float. Now it's at the bottom of Peleliu Express in the Philippine Sea. Unfortunately the dive operation I worked for in Palau was Aqualung dealer so I ended up with a less than suitable replacement.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

The Peleliu Express - or pretty much anywhere in Palau for that matter - is one place I'd like to go and lose my atomic frameless mask!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom