Atomic M1; good in cold water???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kestrell

Reaction score
I'm probably going to buy an Atomic M1 soon, (along with an M1 octo, Zeagle Ranger LTD, Scubapro mini gauges, and a Suunto Vyper) and I want to know how it (the M1) does in cold water. Anyone have any experience?

By the way, Scubatoys will be getting my order for all of the above, so if you're listening guys, I'm hoping for a good package price.

Also for Scubatoys, thanks for taking the time to talk with me and answering all of my questions. I spoke with Larry and Greg (I think) and they were great. I was unsure of doing business with someone by phone/mail, but the great service I got, while not actually buying anything at the time, won me over.

Any way, lets hear some feedback on the M1.

Just a quick question - but for all that time that the guys from Scubatoys had to answer your questions....they didn't know about the equipment that they are selling you? I mean they couldn't answer a question like the cold water diving with the M1? Hmmmm.....

scubadiverjunkie:
Just a quick question - but for all that time that the guys from Scubatoys had to answer your questions....they didn't know about the equipment that they are selling you? I mean they couldn't answer a question like the cold water diving with the M1? Hmmmm.....

No; I forgot to ask. So many questions; so little time.

The M1 will work fine in cold water. The first stage is a balanced piston design that is effectively sealed from the ambient water. The second stage uses a metal air barrel, and an external heat sink. Both features aid a great deal in combating free flows from cold water conditions.

Greg

Greg Barlow:
The M1 will work fine in cold water. The first stage is a balanced piston design that is effectively sealed from the ambient water. The second stage uses a metal air barrel, and an external heat sink. Both features aid a great deal in combating free flows from cold water conditions.

Greg

Thanks, I thought so.

Kestrell

I have been diving the M1 since January. I have been in water as cold as 36 F and over 20 dives colder than 44 F. I have taken off the heat sink and added the comfort swivel. I have had absolutely no problems. I have even tried to freeze it in shallow water using a 3300psi tank in 39 F water and couldn't even get it to sputter. My only complaint about the environmental seal is that the silicone leaks out a little bit upon pressurization sometimes(the price you pay for a sealed flow through piston).

Great reg if you like it go for it. I don't believe it will limit you in any way.

Gillty

Back
Top Bottom