Atomic lenses- better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just bought an Atomic frameless, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The main reason that I bought it was a review in Scuba Diving magazine (I believe) which showed it had the best field of view of several frameless masks.

The glass does look quite clear, but my old mask is rather beat up, so it's hard to make an objective comparison.

I have the Atomic frameless medium mask with clear skirt and like it most of the time. When I say most of the time, I had to get used to the light reflection from the angles that the lense is cut because the lense picks up some glare in bright light with the clear skirt. The skirt is clear enough that I can almost see through it, which is good sometimes, but not all of the time. This could be cured by buying the Atomic with the black skirt.

Additionally, the regular size Atomic frameless was slightly too big for my face, but the medium size is almost too small, so I have to make sure it is centered on my face just right. With my moustache, it always leaks a little bit anyway.

The Atomic is a very high quality mask, and you can tell a slight difference in clarity, but I don't think it would make or break a deal for me. I'm going to try another similar mask which is the Tilos Excel with black skirt to see if it fits better. Fit and comfort is much more important to me than near perfect clarity. I may keep the Atomic for darker water conditions and it will remain my primary mask if the Excel doesn't fit right.

If you buy the Atomic, then I'd recommend the frameless with black skirt and the size that best fits your face. The mask is very light, low volume, easy to clear, easy to pack, and has good visual clarity. If it fits right, then it's worth the money to me.

I have an atomic subframe mask, and love it! Why? Because it fits, has a wide field of vision, and is comfortable. It is the only mask that gives me mask squeeze.

If the Atomic fits your face, I'd highly recommend one (Black skirt).

Atomic Sub Frame with Black Skirt here. Best mask I've ever owned. The frameless is also a great mask, but I chose the sub frame because it fit me better. You won't go wrong with either one. Black or clear skirt is a personal preference, but we seem to sell the black skirt 3 to 1 over the clear ones.
Safe Diving,
George

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom