Atomic has a new regulator out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

can't even keep parts in stock for the run of the mill regulators they sell.

That's not necessarily there fault. Production of even raw materials largely stopped last year, as a result we have across the board shortages of everything.

About $2,800 and you get...um...well, it's got titanium so it's light weight (not that the average regulator is back breaking to carry) and...has iridescent coloration unique to each one. It's plated with some sort of diamond-like hardness coating, but you still need to have care as impact or excessive rubbing can damage that special coloration.

By comparison, their T3 lists for about $1,900 (and there's already been considerable debate over whether their top regulators offer credible value-for-money over their lower and mid-range reg.s like the B2 and Z series).

I dive an Atomic Aquatics B2 and a Cobalt 2, so I like their product, but what is the target demographic for this regulator? Very wealthy people who like rainbow-reminiscent unique iridescence? Brand fan boys?

Am I missing something here? Is there some other advantage to having one of these?
It's an exclusive, showpiece product for wealthy enthusiasts (with some impressive titanium machining) - that's all. This is not intended for the mass market. No different than many other "special edition" products geared for big spenders who want something unique.

I'm not sure why some here have such issues with it and always seem to be concerned about how other people choose to spend their money on scuba gear?

Some people see value in Bentley, Mercedes, Rolls Royce and others don't get past Geely. Typical indirect envy and jealousy, put down the product and ridicule it indirectly putting down and ridiculing the people who can afford and would buy it just so you feel better about not buying because you can't afford it. Same ways people who own cheap cars talking about expensive cars.

We can afford it because we don't spend money foolishly,..... like on it.

Some people see value in Bentley, Mercedes, Rolls Royce and others don't get past Geely. Typical indirect envy and jealousy, put down the product and ridicule it indirectly putting down and ridiculing the people who can afford and would buy it just so you feel better about not buying because you can't afford it. Same ways people who own cheap cars talking about expensive cars.

uhh what? If you want to play car analogies then this is it. What was done serves no purpose other than to flaunt your money.
MRwMw92MXtUl8Y1RN71hyZ8yTxtCIaSG6E-2tuDlS9g.jpg

We can afford it because we don't spend money foolishly,..... like on it.
Good for you - why do you care about what other people spend their money on? What's foolish to you may not be foolish to others at all.

uhh what? If you want to play car analogies then this is it. What was done serves no purpose other than to flaunt your money.
View attachment 676726
And why does that seem to bother you so much? For example, people spend crazy $ on artwork that, in my opinion, looks like children's scribbles - but I don't care as it's their money to spend how they see fit.

And why does that seem to bother you so much? For example, people spend crazy $ on artwork that, in my opinion, looks like children's scribbles - but I don't care as it's their money to spend how they see fit.

Same as in "if I can't have it or don't have it, no one else should"

View attachment 676726

Same as your lighting up your homes during the holidays consuming huge amount of power that would be sufficient to provide power to bring up drinking water for poor villages in poor areas of the world.

I'm not sure why some here have such issues with it and always seem to be concerned about how other people choose to spend their money on scuba gear?

I have no issues with it, as long as people understand what they're getting for their money. People often associate 'more expensive' with 'better,' and new divers not familiar with these product lines may wonder they're missing out on if they buy, oh, say, a Z2 or B2 vs. a T3. Hence the occasional post asking if the whole line breathes the same. Fear of buyer's remorse.

As a practical example, a friend once rode me around in his Mercedes. I'm not a luxury car person, and the selling points of it over, say, an Accord or Camry, would be lost on me, but I recall him pointing out it had less road noise. I wouldn't be surprised if the sound system was better than the average budget-range sedan. Regardless of whether a Mercedes is worth it to you, it's probably a nicer driving experience (even if I'm too crude to notice much). The modestly used BMW 328i we used to have for my wife likewise had heated seats, a moon (sun?) roof, an iPod connection for the sound system and run-flat tires (note: those tires were nearly 4x's the cost of a set for my old Chevy Malibu, and the rear wheel drive was awful for trying to climb our steep driveway when it was icy). I don't want another BMW, but it did have some perks over the old Malibu.

So, if a diver does 2 dives, one with a B2 and one a T25 Limited Edition, is he apt to notice any functional difference?

Or is it just like a T3 (very expensive, but lighter than a B2) plus some eye candy and exclusivity?

As long as people know those answers, their money's their money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom