Atomic Cobalt versus Oceanic OC1 dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently I dive with a wrist watch Suunto D4 dive computer that I bought when I did my OW certification dives. As a backup and primary computer, I am looking at the Atomic Cobalt and Oceanic OC1. I love the Atomic but my concern is over reliability and the many problems folks have with it. Which is a better overall choice?

I think that depends on the user. I have an Oceanic VT3 wrist unit, which I liked, and recently switched to a Cobalt. For reasons specific to me, this made sense, though it might not to you.

1.) I am not a 'hand on' mechanically inclined sort. Always had a friend change out the dive computer batteries & o-rings. With the Cobalt, it's a built-in rechargeable.

2.) I've got a wireless transmitter, but never used it. Way back someone warned me if I used a transmitter be careful when I picked the tank up not to accidentally grab the transmitter, and that if the tank were knocked over it could damage it. Of course, you can knock over a tank & break a console dive computer, so this isn't particularly awful, but couple it with my confusion trying to get the transmitter working (it turns out the transmitter needed to be on a reg. & tank, pressurized; I consider Oceanic's product manual dry, technical and difficult), and somehow it just never happened. With a console unit, air-integration is brain dead easy. When I download my dives to the computer (I use MacDive now), my pressures in & out are accurate. I like to shore dive in Bonaire, and petty theft is a risk, so I wouldn't leave a logbook in the truck. I'd leave a plastic dive slate to write pressures on. With the Cobalt, no need to bother; the computer keeps up with it.

3.) Historically I plan to set the correct local time on dive computers, cameras & such, then get caught up in trip arrangements or being there, and on the dive computer don't remember how to do it without the manual, and the manual's not in hand when I think about it...so it didn't happen. On the Cobalt, setting the time is easy & intuitive. That way when I download dives to my computer, the dive times in & out are right.

4.) On night dives, the Cobalt display is easy to read without shining a light on it, though with a console I can't just glance at my risk. This is something I miss on day dives; I can't just glance at my wrist to watch my depth. Wrist units are convenient.

I suspect the OC1 is similar in use to the VT3 in a smaller package, though I haven't used an OC1.

Somebody who develops a good working grasp of wrist unit operation (e.g.: can set time, nitrox mix, etc...without referencing the manual, or is comfortable with it), is comfortable with changing out battery/o-ring kits, wants the convenience of glancing at a wrist unit for monitoring depth & tank pressure, is fine with a transmitter and wants to remove a hose from his setup, might make the opposite choice.

Given the cost of dive computers, I wonder how many people wear Atom 3's, OC1's, etc..., around in real world day-to-day life? Did you consider the VT4 as an option? I'm not anti-OC1, but given it's price, just wondered if you thought about the VT4 or Atom 3. If so, what OC1 feature(s) were compelling?

Richard.

I have now used my Atomic Cobalt on four diving excursions and everytime I love it all the more. drrich2 highlighted many of its fine qualities. But the intuitive programming-menu system is by far the computer's high point for me. Within 20 minutes of taking it out of the box I had it up and running properly.

Before the Cobalt I used as my primary a wrist mounted AI dive computer. It was so confusing trying to remember all of the multi-steps to operate it with any confidence. And it let me down three times...it functions as design, but the design takes a PhD to use. I suppose that if I used it everyday I would learn its finer points...but I don't dive everyday; I am lucky if I get to dive every 3-4 months. For me after several mishaps with an AI "complicated" wrist computer, I started to use my SPG more and relying less on the wrist mounted dive computer.

So when I was looking at a console mounted dive computer, I found the Cobalt...at the suggestion of my LDS. I resaerched the computer online, read 90+ pages of comments on Scubaboard, and decided to buy it last November. Best equipment choice I have made. Since then I was thinking about buying a Suunto D4 as a backup to replace my complicated wrist mounted computer, but since I love my Cobalt so much I am going to wait for Atomic to come out with their wrist mounted dive computer (tentatively summer-fall of this year).

After using a wrist mounted dive computer, getting use to a console computer was a little ackward at first. But once I reprogramed my body mechanics, it is no longer an issue.

I do not know anyting about the Oceanic OC1, so I cannot offer a true comparisons; but from what I know about the Cobalt it is a great computer. :D

Good luck with your comparisons.

~Me~

I love the Atomic but my concern is over reliability and the many problems folks have with it.

You have what I would call an odd definition of the word "many", but to each their own.

I have have two Cobalts, one for me and one for the woman. They've worked great and the only problem I had was having to buy Pelican 1120 cases for them because Atomic couldn't be bothered to include cases with their $1200 gizmos. A major factor in my diving Atomic regs and the Cobalt is that I have no doubt that Atomic will promptly and easily resolve any problems that occur with my gear. That's simply not something I can say about larger, less responsive companies.

That said, the OC1 and the Cobalt are pretty radically different computers. You might want to figure out whether you want AI console or wireless AI wrist mount before you start worrying about whether any given computer meets your standards of reliability.

One thing about the console vs. wrist mount to consider is that the Cobalt really lends itself to mounting high on the right shoulder (HP hose routed under the left arm and up across the chest) using a quick disconnect and some webbing (or cave line and a bolt snap). This configuration allows me to just glance down and see all the data right there on my chest. It's streamlined and there's no need to bring my arms forward or to touch the console, unless I use the compass.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for your great updates and experiences with the Atomic Cobalt. I've decided to buy one and see how well it works. I played with it in my LDS and love it. Since Monterey has bad viz and I plan to night dive the bright OLED display will come in useful to check stats on air usage and depth limits in dark or poor viz much easier than most other dive computers. I will try your streamline approach as well and see how it works for me when I assemble my kit. I plan to buy an Atomic reg with the Cobalt on the same day as well as a new BCD and additional gear for diving.

If I can hitchhike this thread without hijacking it: for those of you with Atomic Cobalts...do you carry/use a backup system as well? (regular spg? another computer?) or is that what you go into the water with? Admittedly, I'm a newbie, but in reading both here and other places about redundancy, I'm curious how folks deal with air integrated computers...probably going to go buy today myself, and as I think about it, I don't want a hose to a computer and a hose to an spg on my rig, really. And it would seem overly redundant (and overly expensive) to have a Cobalt, AND a wireless AI computer on in the water (in addition to being a pain to make sure both were ready, in dive mode, etc. etc.,) Would love to hear your thoughts and experience about that.

If I can hitchhike this thread without hijacking it: for those of you with Atomic Cobalts...do you carry/use a backup system as well? (regular spg? another computer?) or is that what you go into the water with? Admittedly, I'm a newbie, but in reading both here and other places about redundancy, I'm curious how folks deal with air integrated computers...probably going to go buy today myself, and as I think about it, I don't want a hose to a computer and a hose to an spg on my rig, really. And it would seem overly redundant (and overly expensive) to have a Cobalt, AND a wireless AI computer on in the water (in addition to being a pain to make sure both were ready, in dive mode, etc. etc.,) Would love to hear your thoughts and experience about that.

Citycountryguy,

I use my Colbalt as my primary guage system. As a secondary system I use an AI transmitter and a wrist mounted dive computer. The wrist mounted dive computer is very mechanically complicated, that is why I went to the intuitive Colbalt in the first place. I also carry in my dive bag a spare SPG and multi-purpose tool so if either computer fails for what ever reason, I can switch out the bad unit, keep redundancy and save a dive trip.

Atomic is coming out with a new wrist mounted dive computer simular to the Colbalt's functionality. I plan on replacing my complicated AI dive computer with a new Atomic one just as soon as it is released. (This was a plug for Atomic Dive Computers...I love these things)

But I think you should dive with some sort of redundancy...

I would highly recommend, that while dive computers are great, you do not forget how to use the Dive Tables. I wise 'old" diver once told me to plan all of your dives before hand, write down the dive plan, than after the dive compare your planned data with that of the actual dive's data based on your computers. Sometimes it is not enough to know that something works, but also why and how it works are equally important.

Happy diving...:glad:

~Michael~

Yes, I've spent a lot of time with the tables. I feel pretty confident with them--I guess I'm old school that way just by nature. Thanks, this is very helpful....Not sure when the Atomic wrist mounted is scheduled for release, but I'm in for it whenever. I've spent hours and hours researching this on the web and looking at the different units in my lds, and really do like the Cobalt. If they had both out now, I'd probably be buying both...

michael

Yes, I've spent a lot of time with the tables. I feel pretty confident with them--I guess I'm old school that way just by nature. Thanks, this is very helpful....Not sure when the Atomic wrist mounted is scheduled for release, but I'm in for it whenever. I've spent hours and hours researching this on the web and looking at the different units in my lds, and really do like the Cobalt. If they had both out now, I'd probably be buying both...

michael

Michael,

Good for you sir...I did not remember the tables and took a "quickie" classroom session. I have paid for that mistake by having to relearn them...which I am SOoooo glad I did.

I did the same and researched the @#$% out of which dive computer to get before settling upon the Colbalt. My first computer, before the Colbalt, was this complicated wrist mounted one that takes a PhD to operate. I bought it on the advise on someone who dove a lot with it and knew its querks. I was naive and trusted the thing before it failed (battery issue, so really my failure). So I purchased a basic SPG and learned to Dive Plan the proper way. I then replaced the SGP with the Colbalt. I could not be more happy with the Colbalt. I too would have bought both the console and wrist if they both were out...now the waiting begins for the Wrist Mount. :D

~ME~

If I can hitchhike this thread without hijacking it: for those of you with Atomic Cobalts...do you carry/use a backup system as well? (regular spg? another computer?) or is that what you go into the water with?

I do not: if my Cobalt fails, the dive is over and the SPG is meaningless to me--I'm heading for the surface and either I have enough gas in my tank(s) and/or pony to get back up or I don't. I use the Cobalt dive planner before my dives and put NDLs (or bottom time and deco stops) on my slate as a back up. My dive watch serves as a back up timing device.

I suppose I should have a back up depth gauge as well, but if it's a true emergency I'll shoot my bag and hold my stop at the proper depth using the marks I put on the line when I got it, though I've found that's a lot harder in practice than is ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom