Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

State of the art in dive computers:

cobalt.jpg

State of the Cobalt buyers still waiting for the long promised "coming soon" firmware/software update:

:rtfm::furious::furious::furious::nuke:

They are reasonably close. Exactly how close would depend on the profiles and the max depths, but differences would be fairly minor. The Cobalt implementation and the GAP implementation are not the same (the Cobalt has to be able to function as a real time system and so is constantly recalculating, and it transitions to iterative RGBM based on depth), but I expect GAP would work fine for planning- as desktop software it has many more features than are implemented in the Cobalt's simulator (and the screen is bigger).

The main difference, of course, is that you can use the planning function in the Cobalt out on the water to plan the next dive in the midst of a repetitive series, and it will start with your actual tissue saturation as measured from your actual diving. That's something desktop software can't do. But if you are planning dives well ahead, and have GAP, then I'd certainly try it. You can then replicate the profile quite easily on the Cobalt to check how closely it matches up.

Actually Ron, there's at least one desktop planner, DC combination, that allows you to upload the tissue saturation state from the DC to the planner software for a repetitive series of dives.

Actually Ron, there's at least one desktop planner, DC combination, that allows you to upload the tissue saturation state from the DC to the planner software for a repetitive series of dives.

Yes, I can see with a proprietary system for a single manufacturer it wouldn't be difficult to implement, and I'm not surprised that it's been done, I should not have said can't. I was thinking about generic planners like GAP- it would be pretty daunting to connect to all the different computers, each of which have different algorithm implementations... Possible, no doubt, but it would be hard to keep up with. You could, of course, get decently close by just manually entering the previous dives.

We thought in to Cobalt it made sense to include the planning function (with a useable interface) in the dive computer itself, so it wouldn't be necessary to bring along a laptop for that capability. You can do general planning, create deco schedules, and plan gas requirements on the Cobalt. It has the advantage of being able to start with your current state of saturation, and the disadvantage of working within the limitations of a small screen. Desktop software is much quicker for comparing multiple scenarios- if you have it available.

Yes, I can see with a proprietary system for a single manufacturer it wouldn't be difficult to implement, and I'm not surprised that it's been done, I should not have said can't. I was thinking about generic planners like GAP- it would be pretty daunting to connect to all the different computers, each of which have different algorithm implementations... Possible, no doubt, but it would be hard to keep up with. You could, of course, get decently close by just manually entering the previous dives.

We thought in to Cobalt it made sense to include the planning function (with a useable interface) in the dive computer itself, so it wouldn't be necessary to bring along a laptop for that capability. You can do general planning, create deco schedules, and plan gas requirements on the Cobalt. It has the advantage of being able to start with your current state of saturation, and the disadvantage of working within the limitations of a small screen. Desktop software is much quicker for comparing multiple scenarios- if you have it available.

Yes, this is a good idea. The DC I was referring to above, & at least one other have this functionality too.

NOTE: I was unable to edit the above post, removed earlier do to an error, so I have revised it here.

First let me start be saying I am a fan of Atomic Aquatics and own 2 M1s, a Z1, a SS1 and an Atomic Frameless mask. I was at my local Atomic dealer last week when he handed me a new Cobalt (he knows I am a gear freak). After playing with the Cobalt in the store, and reading the online owners manual, I was just about ready to buy one and retire my N2iTion computer to backup status. However until the PC software, and firmware updates, are published my $1,200 (plus tax) stays in my bank account.

I remember the long wait for PC software for my Zeagle to become available, and then only in Beta form. In Zeagle's case the download package, with the cable and software was a $150+ option, but was not available for a long time. The Colbalt package lists the download cable and the software as part of the package, however the software is not included. I will NOT buy a dive computer that has elements I am paying for missing from the package (as in the software).

I can understand a delay in the firmware update as it ads features suggested by users, and corrects issues discovered after product release. However the PC download/logbook/upload software should have been ready before the computer was ever released to the public. I'll wait for the complete system. My .02 worth.

WMSPDI,
Good point, I too am an advocate of Atomic stuff. I have owned and currently own many of their regulators, mask, dive knife and snorkel. I also want to thank RonR for all of his support on this thread he has been great in keeping people informed. If what you say is true about them saying the software is included with the computer at time of purchase and it is not then, in my humble opinion, that is fraud as I understand the law. I bought Cobalt at the end of last year and have been waiting 5+ months for the software and firmware UPDATE as well. My question is, does the firmware update fix any potentially dangerous problems with the computer? I too would like to be able to download my dives so that I can refer to them when I train students. Yes I am really tired of the “2 Weeks” song and I wish Atomic Aquatics would simply just put a hard date on when they intend to deliver the firmware update and the download software for Windows, or would they entertain the thought of buying back these computers. My reason for this post is simple, “HEY, ATOMIC AQUATICS – Wake Up and GIT ER’ DONE and live up to your reputation”

I have just returned from Egypt where i did IDC and IE, successfully. I used the atomic throughout and was pretty impressed with it to be truthful. The only issue i did have was that it seems to show a loss of pressure soon after turning on the gas. It would go from 200 bar to about 195-ish and then sometimes even lower before i had taken a breath. Has anyone else had this problem, its a little disconcerting thats all. My regs have been tested and i wasnt losing any pressure there, it was my first thought and i had them checked immediately. Im just wondering if anyone has experienced this and whether or not i should get the atomic checked out whilst it is still in warranty. Im in UK and wouldnt know where to send it but im sure one of you guys (Ron) would. Apart from this the unit is excellent and i am more than happy with the purchase, shame about the software not being available but i dont mind filling out my log manually anyway. Its so easy to use and was a real bonus on the courses, hopefully it will keep me happy for many years to come. Thanks Atomic.

:censored:My fiance and I are off to the Florida Keys for a lot of reasons and, at the core of it, we plan on emptying at least 8 tanks while there. She is a new diver and I have been diving off and on for almost 30 years. We decided that we would each get a different style of computer - I liked the Sherwood Wisdom 2 for its very easy to read screens and compass and she decided that the Atomic Cobalt was perfect (it was prettier). Upon getting home, we both realized that we had issues with them: 1) the Sherwood didn't come with the cable to connect it to the PC but did come with software and 2) the Cobalt didn't come with software! I have the cable for my Wisdom 2 coming but where is the firmware and software, Atomic? We both got outfitted from head to toe for this trip: the 2 dive computers, Atomic B2 regs, Sherwood BCDs (Luna for her and a Tortuga for me), Atomic fins, new Bare 3mm suits, Cressi masks, et cetera... All works perfect except the two computer issues. :censored::censored::censored:

WMSPDI,
Good point, I too am an advocate of Atomic stuff. I have owned and currently own many of their regulators, mask, dive knife and snorkel. I also want to thank RonR for all of his support on this thread he has been great in keeping people informed. If what you say is true about them saying the software is included with the computer at time of purchase and it is not then, in my humble opinion, that is fraud as I understand the law. I bought Cobalt at the end of last year and have been waiting 5+ months for the software and firmware UPDATE as well. My question is, does the firmware update fix any potentially dangerous problems with the computer? I too would like to be able to download my dives so that I can refer to them when I train students. Yes I am really tired of the “2 Weeks” song and I wish Atomic Aquatics would simply just put a hard date on when they intend to deliver the firmware update and the download software for Windows, or would they entertain the thought of buying back these computers. My reason for this post is simple, “HEY, ATOMIC AQUATICS – Wake Up and GIT ER’ DONE and live up to your reputation”

:wink::wink::wink: What is the first rule of SCUBA????? DON"T HOLD YOUR BREATH:no::no::no:

Back
Top Bottom