Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The latest beta version of Diving Log (Windows) supports now direct downloading from the Cobalt and is available in my blog. The bad news: it still requires the new firmware for the cobalt, otherwise the download won't work. But as soon as the firmware is released you can try it. You must download and install a special driver in order to download your dives from the Cobalt. If you have any problems or feedback, please let me know.

Cheers,
Sven

Thanks Sven this is good news! :D:D:D I have been getting to like Diving Log and will continue to support you and your efforts.

Now if Atomic can get the firmware posted it looks like both MAC's and PC's can get'er done and start making nice records of their diving experiences with notes and comments and photos and everything else that makes for a COMPLETE diving record. :wink:

BT

A standalone Mac utility to update the firmware has been available for a loooong time. In fact, our early field testers had to have Macs to update their test versions.

Well, MacDive is ready for use as soon as the firmware update is distributed. It costs $25, though- it's well worth it IMHO. Free Mac download software is coming.

After the experience of delay with the Windows software, Atomic is not going down the same path with the Mac software. They are contracting with Nick from MacDive to distribute for free an "Atomic" version of MacDive- with limited capabilities compared to the $25 version. i.e. downloads only from the Cobalt, not from the many other computers the paid version supports, and without some features like the iPhone synch. Personally I think this is a much better solution. Nick deserves credit for making an excellent product.

Ron,

Thank you again for the informative replies. Glad to hear that the Mac firmware update utility is complete and waiting for release.

It'll be interesting to see the functional differences between the two version of MacDive. I've been playing with the trial version, while waiting for the firmware update before buying the full version. It looks like a good piece of software.

Well, MacDive is ready for use as soon as the firmware update is distributed.

The Mac firmware isn't being distributed because AA doesn't want to piss off Windows users? Hmmm, just doesn't seem fair. Mac users are plenty used to being served second, although that's happening a lot less frequently lately.

Free Mac download software is coming.

You forgot to say "soon." :D

The latest beta version of Diving Log (Windows) supports now direct downloading from the Cobalt and is available in my blog. The bad news: it still requires the new firmware for the cobalt, otherwise the download won't work. But as soon as the firmware is released you can try it. You must download and install a special driver in order to download your dives from the Cobalt. If you have any problems or feedback, please let me know.

Cheers,
Sven

New firmware? I have one Cobalt with a V1.10 operating system and another with V1.07 is V1.10 of the OS the new firmware?

New firmware? I have one Cobalt with a V1.10 operating system and another with V1.07 is V1.10 of the OS the new firmware?

Yep, you got a demo there with the newer firmware on it. The 1.10 is the update, changes are not huge from a user standpoint, but things that might be noticeable are that it displays average depth and SCF values in the dive log, surface intervals between dives are now in the dive log, the tank pressure display will respond more quickly when turing on or off the gas, and the compass bearing setting is a bit more responsive. Those are mostly changes based on input from ScubaBoard, thanks to all who offered suggestions!

Most other changes are under the hood, and wouldn't normally be noticeable. Some relate to compatibility with the desktop software. There are also fixes for some minor display bugs, adjustments to colors based on user inputs, some corrections to the German language text and to metric display.

I really expect to see this posted to Atomic's website shortly.

:rofl3: Ha, Hah.. Well, you're talking with someone who remembers working a bit with Nolan Bushnell when Atari was still a Really Big Deal (previous lifetime, sailboats, not computers).

Sorry. My bad. You have to remember that you are talking to someone who remembers Atari the first time around.

Remember that Atari was the company that should have trademarked RealSoonNow for announcing products, that will ship Real Soon Now, but never make it out the door.

Two Questions:

I received the Cobalt and the compass already reads magnetic North as close as I can determine. Is there any reason to recalibrate?

I frequently dive here in Mendocino and Carmel Bay, about 350 miles to the south. The difference in declination is a little under 1°. Since my use is for relative rather than chart navigation, is there any reason to recalibrate for those two areas?

Two Questions:

I received the Cobalt and the compass already reads magnetic North as close as I can determine. Is there any reason to recalibrate?

I frequently dive here in Mendocino and Carmel Bay, about 350 miles to the south. The difference in declination is a little under 1°. Since my use is for relative rather than chart navigation, is there any reason to recalibrate for those two areas?

The compass was originally calibrated at Atomic in Southern California, the difference between there and Mendocino/ Carmel is small and probably not too noticeable given the limited accuracy of the compass. A 1° difference is less than it can detect, so while theoretically you could improve accuracy by calibrating, I probably wouldn't bother unless you see it is noticeably off in some direction.

Ron

Well, my wife and I made our first dives with the Colbalts last week in Belize. Very pleased with the performance. Only real complaint was the display was a little tricky to read while at our safety stops, but not bad enough that I felt then need to play around with the brightness controls.

Very easy to use, I am happy with this purchase.

I dived with my new Cobalt for the first time last weekend at the Coronados Islands. Worked great on first dive until the high pressure hose fitting unscrewed from the main body. Terminated dive and had it re-tightened when I got back on boat. Luckily the LDS owner was on the boat too. Next two dives were great. A little hard to read in the direct sunlight but no worries about that. Now its on to the Bahamas next month for 27 dives.

Don

Back
Top Bottom