Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If what you say is true about them saying the software is included with the computer at time of purchase and it is not then, in my humble opinion, that is fraud as I understand the law.

A review from SCUBA Diving Magazine, posted in the Reviews section of Atomics own website, listed the PC Kit as "included" in the package.

From Atomics owner's manual:

Downloading the logbook
The Cobalt will store approximately 600 dives in the logbook at the default sample rate of 30 seconds. For those who wish to download their dives to a personal computer, check the Atomic Aquatics Website Atomic Aquatics - Before Atomic Aquatics, there was no "best' in scuba diving for current information regarding availability of download software.

Since they include the download cable with the computer, and tell you to go to the website to download the current version of the software (without a any mention of an additional purchase requirement), I read that to mean the download software is intended to be part of the purchase package. If the software is not available for download when the package is purchased then the package as it is sold is not complete. At least that is my take on the subject.

So you guys are saying w are going to have to pay for the software that was supposed to be included when it actually becomes available? If so, I'm selling my Cobalt. $1200 and they want to milk more out of us, thats crap. What a shame if its true, I really like their products, I currently own their frameless mask, B2 reg, Ti dive knife, and an SS1. Id feel wronged if I have to shell out more on software that was supossed to be included. You guys are right about the product being released before everything was finished, thats just bad business.

Hopefully Atomic gets it together and gets the software and firmware updates out asap, as in last week and for free of charge, I dont want to lose faith in this company.

No, I did not mean to say we would have to pay for the software when, or even if it becomes available. Some manufactures charge extra for the download packages as an accessory. In such a case the download kit would be a separate item and not required to be available when the host product was released.

In the case of the Cobalt no mention was made by Atomic that the software was an accessory to be purchased at an additional cost. I am saying since Atomic lists the PC Kit as included with the Cobalt, and the owners manual says to go to the Atomic website for download information of the software, and the software (that you paid for as part of the Cobalt package) was not, and is still not, available to the buyer that the buyer was shorted and sold an incomplete package. No disclaimer informed the consumer that the listed "PC package" that is included was incomplete (as in missing software).

Since computer softward is frequently updated I do not fault Atomic for not including a software disc in the package. You will always get the latest version by downloading the software for your operating system from the website. However, by NOT having the software available to the consumer (in any format) on the day the first Cobalt was sold Atomic has failed to live up to it's purchase contract with the buyer. Period.

BTW- This happens to MAC users often where a product is shipped with software for the PC, but the MAC software follows sometimes months later (which is wrong), but to ship NO software when it is a package feature???

Last edited:
I will confess to a fault I don't like in other people -- I have not read this entire massive thread before posting.

I was admiring the Cobalt computer used by the DMC working with us during our OW class. Yesterday, I gave him a Xen to dive as well.

His conclusion: The Cobalt has a problem with screen readability at angles and in high light, which the Xen does not have. He really liked the Xen. In the restaurant, we compared the two screens, and I have to agree that whatever the glass/acrylic/whatever the Cobalt screen is made of, it is VERY given to glare.

Let me try to clarify current status and past history, and offer some hopeful news- but bear in mid that I'm not an Atomic employee, just reasonably close to this part of the process.

First, it was never Atomic's plan to - as most manufacturers do- charge extra for download capability, but to integrate that capability with the battery charging connector. As I've said here before, our recommendation as the Cobalt developers/ designers was that Atomic not try to provide download software at all, but simply make the interface available as open source, and let third party developers (of which there are many, both free and commercial) allow the Cobalt to interface with their dive log software. Atomic would provide the hardware capability and let those in the business of developing desktop software (which we are not) provide the dive log software. There is no inherent reason that any "Brand XX" computer should require "BrandXX" download software. As I understand, Atomic is pretty unique in choosing to cooperate with open source/ third party developers, and I think they deserve credit for taking that step. It's something no major manufacturers have done to my knowledge- though their communications have been reverse engineered with some effort. We have been working with Nick from MacDive, and MacDive currently supports the Cobalt. It's my understanding that other third party applications will soon, or do now. Atomic has committed to making a free Mac application available.

But before product release, Atomic decided that they wanted to provide a free "Atomic" branded dive log software as well as supporting open source. That may be a decision they regret at this point.

The manuals obviously had to be printed well before the Cobalt was released- which as many of you recall (and we recall painfully) was a good six months behind the original plan. The manual says to go to the Atomic Website because that's where they were planning to distribute the software.

For reasons I don't understand, the developer they contracted with for Windows got the package 95% done on schedule, and then failed to deliver for six months. Unfortunately, the firmware update capability was integrated with the Atomic desktop software for Windows (it's a separate application for the Mac). So the delay in the desktop software for Windows has meant a delay in releasing the firmware update as well.

We are saying the firmware update is required to download dives, because if one has set very high sample rates, or has very long dives, there is a potential conflict with the desktop software. But to answer a question above, nothing is the firmware is a fix for any safety problems- there are enhancements to the interface, a few new capabilities, and some things "under the hood". There is a fix for a rare problem that could be extremely irritating, but not a safety issue.

Now, the hopeful news. I have received this weekend what I hope will be the final Windows software, with the few minor fixes we needed- we're checking now. If it looks good, then both it and a firmware update should be posted soon. I know I've said that before- but I hope this time it's real.

Ron

...We have been working with Nick from MacDive, and MacDive currently supports the Cobalt...

...Unfortunately, the firmware update capability was integrated with the Atomic desktop software for Windows (it's a separate application for the Mac). So the delay in the desktop software for Windows has meant a delay in releasing the firmware update as well.

We are saying the firmware update is required to download dives, because if one has set very high sample rates, or has very long dives, there is a potential conflict with the desktop software...

Ron,

Thank you again for keeping us updated (even though the answer seems to be the same, week after week). It shows a great deal about your character that you come back and update this thread while nearly all the feedback is "Why isn't this done yet?" (not that there isn't a good reason for the recurring question).

While MacDive has support for the Cobalt built in, it also displays a warning message before you download stating that you must ensure your firmware is at version 1.1. So effectively, while MacDive can download from the computer, noone is recommending owners to do so without updated firmware, which is still unavailable.

Your statement seems to indicate that the firmware update to version 1.1 (at least) is ready for release, but being held because there is no method to update the firmware, since on Windows that functionality is built into the desktop software.

All updates in this thread seems to pertain to the Windows software. Do you know when can we expect the Mac firmware update utility? Is this ready for release, currently being developed, or will this begin development after the Windows software is released?

So effectively, while MacDive can download from the computer, noone is recommending owners to do so without updated firmware, which is still unavailable.

Your statement seems to indicate that the firmware update to version 1.1 (at least) is ready for release, but being held because there is no method to update the firmware, since on Windows that functionality is built into the desktop software.

All updates in this thread seems to pertain to the Windows software. Do you know when can we expect the Mac firmware update utility? Is this ready for release, currently being developed, or will this begin development after the Windows software is released?

A standalone Mac utility to update the firmware has been available for a loooong time. In fact, our early field testers had to have Macs to update their test versions.

You are correct in that the only holdup has been getting the Windows software up and available- and given the nature of Windows and the many different versions thereof, testing is a more challenging issue. However, I think we have it now. Windows download appears to be working for Windows versions from XP on, which is probably where it will stay.

Atomic has not felt it would be prudent to release a firmware update for Mac users, but tell Windows users to wait a bit more. And of course, they were concerned about the avalanche of support problems that might come if there were problems with the download software. Look for an announcement very soon.

Ron

So if I understand this correctly, when (if?) Atomic releases the Windows firmware update/software they will also release the Mac firmware update since the Mac firmware update has been ready for some time.

But what about the Mac software? Is it also ready to be released?

So if I understand this correctly, when (if?) Atomic releases the Windows firmware update/software they will also release the Mac firmware update since the Mac firmware update has been ready for some time.

But what about the Mac software? Is it also ready to be released?

Well, MacDive is ready for use as soon as the firmware update is distributed. It costs $25, though- it's well worth it IMHO. Free Mac download software is coming.

After the experience of delay with the Windows software, Atomic is not going down the same path with the Mac software. They are contracting with Nick from MacDive to distribute for free an "Atomic" version of MacDive- with limited capabilities compared to the $25 version. i.e. downloads only from the Cobalt, not from the many other computers the paid version supports, and without some features like the iPhone synch. Personally I think this is a much better solution. Nick deserves credit for making an excellent product.

The latest beta version of Diving Log (Windows) supports now direct downloading from the Cobalt and is available in my blog. The bad news: it still requires the new firmware for the cobalt, otherwise the download won't work. But as soon as the firmware is released you can try it. You must download and install a special driver in order to download your dives from the Cobalt. If you have any problems or feedback, please let me know.

Cheers,
Sven

Back
Top Bottom