Atomic Aquatic Regulators.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It still holds, T3 for the best and T25 for the “pretty” best :p

And Twiznutaggie for the bestbestbest. (I'm only here to brag)

2D0A9039.jpg

Actually, there is a method to the madness of the pretty colors.
Titanium is VERY prone to galling. Hence, their discontinuance of the titanium turret bolt in favor of Monel. It makes for easier, vs near impossible disassembly after overtorquing.
Well, after acid-anodizing, galling is significantly reduced: Titanium and Titanium Alloys - Acid and Alkaline Anodising of Titanium Alloys

It also improves wear resistance. Titanium, although strong, still scratches easily. And acid anodizing also adds pretty colors.

You see, there actually is a downside to titanium beyond its flammability. When two parts gall together, it's a crazymaker separating them.

Here's a neat (scary) thing to try:
Take your fancy T2x and tighten down a port plug extra snug. Don't worry, it's titanium, you'll still be able to unscrew it. Now take it into an absolutely dark room at night. Unscrew the port plug. See the tiny spark when you do. Think about that with pure O2. And that's why they don't use titanium in deco regs.

@Wiznutaggie :

Is this the T25 or your own handy-work on a T1/T2 first stage? Looks very nice. Is the anodization solely on the exterior surface of the first stage or on the interior surface as well?

O.

I decided to overhaul.my 20+ year-old B2 the other day (that was still working fine and had never been overhauled). A tad more o-rings than I expected but otherwise everything went back together and it breathes as effortlessly as when it was new.

ojDc7c.jpg

ukbEnQ.jpg

Just be careful with older models that do not have the Jet seat and piston. That retro kit is not cheap so when buying old make sure it either has the mod or get it really cheap.

@Wiznutaggie :

Is this the T25 or your own handy-work on a T1/T2 first stage? Looks very nice. Is the anodization solely on the exterior surface of the first stage or on the interior surface as well?

O.

Thanks, it's my own handy work on a T2. Everything is anodized, including interior.

Actually, there is a method to the madness of the pretty colors.
Titanium is VERY prone to galling. Hence, their discontinuance of the titanium turret bolt in favor of Monel. It makes for easier, vs near impossible disassembly after overtorquing.
Well, after acid-anodizing, galling is significantly reduced: Titanium and Titanium Alloys - Acid and Alkaline Anodising of Titanium Alloys

It also improves wear resistance. Titanium, although strong, still scratches easily. And acid anodizing also adds pretty colors.

You see, there actually is a downside to titanium beyond its flammability.

Sweet, I didn't even know about the decreased galling. That'll be a nice benefit. On disassembly the din nipple was seized like hell onto the body. Took a good bit to break it free.

@Scuba Lawyer Did you reuse the old seat or install a new one? It would be great to know a seat can last 20 years.

@Scuba Lawyer Did you reuse the old seat or install a new one? It would be great to know a seat can last 20 years.
@Couv

The 1st stage rebuild kit I bought came with a new JSeat so I did replace the old one. The original seat looked to be in great shape however.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom