Atomic Aquatic BC.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't recall the name of the material the BC was made of but one benefit was it didn't absorb water. A couple of shakes and it was supposed to be dry.
The "ratcheting" cam band was an interesting addition.
Initial design is a jacket style but a back inflate is in development also.
It will not be an entry level BC. It is designed to target the T3 diver. Has the industry finally produced a 1k BC?
No release date set but they are targeting spring 2016 if I recall correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has the industry finally produced a 1k BC?

A Ranger LTD with an OctoZ retails at $1129 - $949 for just the BC.

So I'd say yes if they add a few new features to the Atomic Back-Inflate. You'd have to think Zeagle is involved with the sourcing on that anyway - if not the actual build with an Atomic label on it.

It is sort of interesting that all the new Zeagle jackets (7 of them) except one are under $500. And most of their back-inflate line is priced over that now. Except the Scout, Express Tech or Covert.

Given that Atomic and Liquivision are now owned by Huish, I suspect Huish won't like the duplication of effort and cannabalization of sales with 2 in house brands making the same product, so it won't surprise me to see Liquivision be the 'wireless' AI option and the Atomic Cobalt remain the sole AI 'hosed' computer option. At best you might see a Liquivision version rebranded with an Atomic logo on it.

I wondered the same thing.

I think the target for the AA wrist computer will remain the "Recreational Diver" while the Liquid Vision will continue targeting "Technical Divers". I have a Cobalt which I love and a Petrel and a basic bottom timer that I love equally...but I used them differently, Cobalt for recreational diving and the Petrel/bottom timer for more advance dive planning and dive plan execution.

From a DEMA summary:
Atomic Aquatics is adding a new yet to be named BC. In designing this product they’re re-examining the whole concept of a BC and have come up with several innovative features. The entire system is created using exclusive engineering-plastics, polyurethane coated textiles, and corrosion resistant metals. It is completely waterproof, so it will shed water instantly after the dive. It also has a revolutionary new EZ-Lok weight system, making it very quick and easy to load your weights in or out of the water. It has a completely new and exclusive ratcheting Cam-Lok tank band which quickly adjusts to accommodate a variety of tank sizes. No more weaving webbing into a buckle. The band is also non-stretch and no-slip. The D-rings are titanium. The completely new overpressure relief valve system is in three locations with unique pull handles.

A 'quick drain/dry' BCD would be nice for traveling as it'd get dry faster to go in luggage for flights home.

Cam bands that rapidly & securely adjust for different sized tanks would be quite nice; not a necessity, but a nice perk. At the local quarry, I dive a 130 cf HP tank; on trips, varied sizes.

Is there a point to having titanium D rings? I've been under the impression the D-rings on my Sherwood Avid are some sort of stainless steel that's very rust resistant but wouldn't hold an edge well enough to be used for dive knives. The amount of titanium in a knife blade is enough to back the price up about $30 or so; since D-rings don't add a lot of weight to a BCD, I wonder what the costs & benefits here are?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom