ATOM 2 vs. VT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquanutII

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Other than size is there any other considerations between these two device?
Looking to get one of these with an extra sender to keep an eye on my son's air who's new to this sport.
How easy are are these to read under? I think the VT3 would be easier to view but on vacation the Atom 2 could be worn all the time...
Thanks

It's a matter of personal choice. they use the same algorithm but for me it's also at 47 going on 48 the atom is too hard to read. I have a script mask but it's not bifocaled so now that I need em for close up bigger is better.

I have the Atom 1 and my wife has the VT3. My Atom does not have the Buddy Check feature even though I can use my watch to read her tank with a few extra steps. Her process to read mine is very easy. I am 46 and wear bifocal contacts however the up close has very little correction. I have no problem whatsoever reading the Atom in lower light conditions. However at night, the back-light washes out the display and I find it easier just to shine a light on the watch.

I love my Atom but do not wear it on vacation except when diving since I really don't care what time it is or even want to know at times. My wife has her VT3 mounted on a retractor mount and just clips it to her BC. She loves that setup though when I've borrowed it I find myself tugging at it all the time in order to look at it.

Tough decision. Good luck.

If I was buying again, I would go for the VT3...

I ordered an Atom2 without really seeing one in the flesh...I thought it would be the same size as the D9 - a PDC but also a watch, something I could wear as a 'normal' watch at work etc... I do have smallish wrists admittedly (I'm 5'7" and 145lbs), but the Atom looks huge! and I can only wear it when diving, otherwise I look like a child wearing a Casio ProTrek watch! lol

Also, a little note - I can use the Atom without referring to the manual or quick ref card while diving, however I have to say it one of the most confusing pdc I've used in a while, why use those funny symbols on the buttons? - a friend turned up with Mares Nemo Wide? (I think) - four buttons: up down, select, back (or something like that) and you could work and configure it in an instant! - I do like my Atom, but Oceanic I think have a little to learn in HCI department...

I'm a bigger guy (5'11" 225 lbs), so the Atom feels like a normal watch to me. It IS pretty damn confusing to change options, but it's very simple to use once set.

If you don't care to wear the PDC any other time, I would go with the VT3. The display is considerably larger and easier to read.

I like the Atom's compactness. There isn't much information I need while on a dive, so I don't need a big display. I can also wear it as a watch without getting endless inane questions about it.

Other than size is there any other considerations between these two device?
Looking to get one of these with an extra sender to keep an eye on my son's air who's new to this sport.
How easy are are these to read under? I think the VT3 would be easier to view but on vacation the Atom 2 could be worn all the time...
Thanks

If you are considering the VT3 you should also look at the Aeris T3. Aeris is a sister company to Oceanic. They are basically the same computer but I think the presentation of the data on the T3 is more intuitive and better organized that the VT3.

I purchase my atom 2 for exactly the same reason as I have a 13 yo son who I dive with and thought that the "buddy check" feature would be great for my reassurance. Well it sounds good in theory but in practice its not that simple, as you normally need to be within about 1 meter of the sender, I have to swim over to him and get my atom behind his tank then press the button on the atom 2 and hope it "finds" the buddy sender, in reality I just glance over at his gauge or ask him to tell me his pressure, so much for technology !!!

Mark

i've yet to use that feature since my regular buddies dont have an oceanic computer. i think it has its uses though.

i've yet to use that feature since my regular buddies dont have an oceanic computer. i think it has its uses though.

Ok maybe I have missed something, "swim over to son, position atom within 1 meter, push button, hope it finds sender ( about 50 % strike rate first attempt )" or swim over to son, glance at his gauge.

So what have I missed ??

Mark
:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom