Atom 2 or Vytec DS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
One of my friends who is allergic to computers is trying to decide between these 2 computers and can't seem to make up his mind. Does anyone have any info that I can pass on to help him decide? Does anyone have experience with both?

I dive with an AI (hoseless) Vytec DS and like it a lot. The only issue that I have had with it is on the boat in Coz in Jan., 2 others in the group had DSs and when we went to sync the computers, we had to make sure that we were far enough apart so that the computers didn't try to pick up the other transmitters--we would get "Fail" messages and they wouldn't sync. Once we separated a little bit, everything was fine.

I would go with the VT3 or the Vytec DS they have bigger screens. The VT3 is basicly the Atom 2 with one less button and a bigger screen.

If your eyesight is good and you want to wear it out of the water as a watch... then go with the Atom. Loved mine except for the small numbers.

Got the Vytec for the large numbers and slightly better back light. Beyond that. eh. The colder darker water I dive in kinda made sure I ended up with something like a Vytec. Oh the Deep Sea Supply mount using bungie cords rocks. That's another + for the Vytec or Vyper :)

If I were back to doing only warm water dives, I might have kept my Atom 1.0

I dive with an Atom 2.0, and I absolutely love it. It is a full function EAN compatible computer, and is very simple to use. I won't list all of the features, as I am sure you have read them on other sites, but there is simply nothing, in my opinion, which it is lacking.

I have dove with this watch to 106 feet in 50 degree water in southern California and it has worked flawlessly. I also wear this as my "regular" watch on a daily basis.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

I second DoogaDiver! I dive an Atom 2.0 and love it. Simple to use, never had problems with the transmitter, has everything I need and plan to use for the coming years. I've used it down to 43 degree water and up to 79 degree water and it has worked flawlessly in every dive.

If you need the bigger display then the Oceanic VT3 might be worth checking out, since it is pretty much the same thing as the Atom but in a larger form factor (about the same size as the Vytec/Vyper).

Also, although I've never had to use them, Oceanic customer service and support has a very good reputation for being very helpful and responsive.

Good luck choosing your DC!

Safe diving, cheers!
Willy

The main reason I prefer using a computer like the Vytec or VT3 over a small one like the Atom is I like to see all the info on one screen. On the Atoms, the screen is so small you have to push a button during the dive to see what I consider to be some basic info on an alternate screen, while I feel that info should be onscreen at all times. Just not possible with a screen that small, whether your eyes are good or not.

I totally agree with you, CompuDude. You can only fit but so much info on the Atom's small screen. This is when personal preference kicks in. For you, the information in the alternate screens is important enough that you'd rather have it on the main screen. For me, all the information that is important to me, is already in the main screen. The only piece of info that is not on the main screen, that I sometimes wish was is the temperature reading, but it is not a big deal to me not having it and it is just one button push away.

This brings up a good point to pass on to your friend, formernuke. A big factor on what computer he/she should buy is personal preference. What he/she likes or dislikes may be very different from what others like/dislike, like CompuDude (thanks!) and I just demonstrated.

The main reason I prefer using a computer like the Vytec or VT3 over a small one like the Atom is I like to see all the info on one screen. On the Atoms, the screen is so small you have to push a button during the dive to see what I consider to be some basic info on an alternate screen, while I feel that info should be onscreen at all times. Just not possible with a screen that small, whether your eyes are good or not.

I dive with a Vytec DS and for the most part I love it. My only problem is that every so often is that after I check to make sure that there's pressure in my tank. I'll shut off the valve and get ready for briefing. When I come back, it doesn't always sync up. This caused me to miss a dive one time, so now I also have a analogue SPG that I use too. If my Vytec syncs, awesome, if it doesn't, I have the SPG, and the Vytec goes into gauge mode.

I have an Atom 1.0 , an Atom 2.0 and a VT3
After having a Mares MC2 I decided on a AI wireless computer.
The MC2 althought a very well thought out and featured computer uses the same RGBM nitrogen model as the Suunto computers. This model is very conservative and can not be adjusted to be more liberal.
The Oceanic computers on the other hand have the ability to be set to conservative mode.
Also these computers have the transmitter code programmed into the computer where the Suunto wireless poll for a transmitter and can pick up the wrong transmitter if it is close by.
IMHO this is a flaw in the Suunto that make the Oceanic a superior product.
As others have mentioned if your eyesight is good and you'd like a watch style the Atom computer works great but has a smaller screen than the VT3.
I purchased to VT3 first but when my wife started diving passed it to her since my vision is better than her's. The Atom 2.0 works great for me and I got sweet deal on it the Atom 1.0 is my backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom