Atom 2 or Vytec DS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you want to shut off your valve when it's already paired? Your transmitter goes into a sleep mode if there is no pressure change for 5 minutes. Once you begin breathing/purge on your regulator, your transmitter wakes up and starts sending data.

You can always force it to re-sync by turning off your valve completely and then turning it back on. The transmitter will now select a new code. Your Vytec must be in "SETC" mode to pair the new code.

You can also manually erase the store code by pressing twice on the “TIME" button, then press the "PLAN" button follow by pressing the "MODE" button. This will erase the stored code and starts displaying "SETC", which allows a new code to be paired.

Most newbies including myself make the mistake of turning ON the valve before turning ON the Vytec, which causes sync issues. Always turn on your Vytec first before turning on the valve.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you on this point. Just because there are workarounds to problems doesn't make it a good system. The wireless system on Suunto's is TERRIBLE. With Oceanic and Uwatec, it's a permanent pairing. Set it up when you first buy the system, and you're done until you purposely break the pairing (after going through a number of menus to do so), or until the computer/transmitter finally dies. It's truly set-it-and-forget-it. The fact that special procedures have to be followed to keep a Suunto computer paired with it's transmitter is just a bad idea. (Plus, other people sometimes turn your tanks on and off, especially in a vacation/boat setting, and sometimes you need to walk out of range of your tank... stuff happens in the real world.)

I've just read far too many complaints about Suunto's pairing system to cut them slack on this one. All the other wireless AI manufacturers seem to have no problem on this point, just Suunto.

Here is something else to think about. Oceanic is giving a $200 instant cash rebate ATOM 2.0 (with transmitter) and the VT3 (with transmitter). This is above and beyond whatever price you save off of MSRP from a authorized Oceanic dealer so you have the rebate and warranty.

The link is below for the offer. If you need one, let me know, I will blow a few out if necessary. :D

Before you ask,

Yes and Yes. :wink:

Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba and Snorkeling Gear, Scuba and Snorkeling Equipment and Dive Gear

I purchased a Atom2 I have a Mac computer can I download solfware?

I purchased a Atom2 I have a Mac computer can I download solfware?

Yes, Sir! I am the proud owner of an Atom 2.0 and a Macbook Pro running Leopard. The software which comes with the Atom won't run on a Mac without windows, but fortunately a member of ScubaBoard, t0w, has developed outstanding software which is free and is compatible with both the Atom 2.0 and the Mac. I have used it, and absolutely love it...every bit as good as the original software.

Here is the link to the download: MacDive 1.5.2 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker

And the link to the forum with a great deal of discussion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/225186-new-mac-os-x-dive-app.html

Good luck!

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you on this point. Just because there are workarounds to problems doesn't make it a good system. I've just read far too many complaints about Suunto's pairing system to cut them slack on this one. All the other wireless AI manufacturers seem to have no problem on this point, just Suunto.

I've only used Vytec DS, so I can't compare it with other brands. I guess I don't know what I don't know.

Have used the Vytec for two years and am completely satisfied. Never had hoseless pairing problem. Computer wakes up when I get within range of the BC. Especially like the way it manages decompression dives. I like the conservative defaults because I push my dives to the computer's limit. Backup is a Mosquito.

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you on this point. Just because there are workarounds to problems doesn't make it a good system. The wireless system on Suunto's is TERRIBLE. With Oceanic and Uwatec, it's a permanent pairing. Set it up when you first buy the system, and you're done until you purposely break the pairing (after going through a number of menus to do so), or until the computer/transmitter finally dies. It's truly set-it-and-forget-it. The fact that special procedures have to be followed to keep a Suunto computer paired with it's transmitter is just a bad idea. (Plus, other people sometimes turn your tanks on and off, especially in a vacation/boat setting, and sometimes you need to walk out of range of your tank... stuff happens in the real world.)

I've just read far too many complaints about Suunto's pairing system to cut them slack on this one. All the other wireless AI manufacturers seem to have no problem on this point, just Suunto.

I use both Oceanic and Suunto wireless computers. I like them both I use the Oceanic for my recreational dive and my Suunto for Tech dives. If you dive Bikini they will tell you to leave most computer at home and rent a computer in Bikini but you can use certain Suunto and Dive Rites and some older uwatecs computers. But I seen alot of post on Oceanic site were they mess up their codes with the software or change it by accident and could not re-link them. Either way has it draw backs. That’s my two cents.

I dive with an AI (hoseless) Vytec DS and like it a lot. The only issue that I have had with it is on the boat in Coz in Jan., 2 others in the group had DSs and when we went to sync the computers, we had to make sure that we were far enough apart so that the computers didn't try to pick up the other transmitters--we would get "Fail" messages and they wouldn't sync. Once we separated a little bit, everything was fine.
you all just need to pick another code , it tells you how in the manual and its very easy we have this trouble on dive boats in nc too.
I have used both sold my oceanic atom 2 and kept my suunto vytec hoseless and love it.

Back
Top Bottom