Atom 2 Elevation Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a total of 5 Aeris and Oceanic computers in my family, all wrist computers, and all current models made within the last year or so, and at any given time we get a range of elevation readouts. I live at about 5200' and right now two of the computers say EL3, 1 says EL6 and one says EL7. I haven't checked the last one. One of the EL3 computers just came back from Oceanic for recalibration of the thermometer because it consistently showed the water temperature 8-9 degrees high and the EL7 is a replacement for another computer that was replaced because it stuck at EL2 at sea level. One of the EL6 computers is a replacement for another computer that consistently showed water temp 5-6 degrees high. The temp isn't that important but it doesn't inspire confidence in the other measurements. I like the computers, otherwise and Oceanic/Aeris service has been great to deal with, but automatic altitude adjustment is clearly unreliable and the temperature sensors are not much better. I wish they would just provide user adjustment for altitude and abandon the calculation based on barometric pressure. Strange thing is we also have an older Cressi around here and it seems to have no problem with this. Better components?

Frankly, I don't think there is much point in sending them in for service again at this point. The feature simply doesn't work. I don't dive to the limits anyway and it really is just annoying to have them reading the wrong elevation, but that just seems to be how it is. I am going to try leaving the battery out of the one that just came back and see if that helps that one (someone somewhere had success with this). Actually, I am not even sure what the correct reading should be here (I don't dive locally), but I believe it is EL6 or EL7.

If you can't live with this issue, I would look elsewhere, having tried replacements and service repeatedly, to no avail.

Edited to add: Posting this got me to wondering, so I checked and if I am calculating right, they should all be reading EL5, and EL4 would be only a few hundred feet off, so I don't think a single computer is correct. They may all go to "Sea" when we dive again in a week, or, maybe not.....

Last edited:
Just did my first dive with my 2.0

just got it from lp and the software version shows as r3c

showing el 2 after first dive, went back to sea then back to el 2 and seems to be stuck there. I am in south florida by the way--about as sea level as you can get and I will say one thing for sure

"Frankly, I don't think there is much point in sending them in for service again at this point. The feature simply doesn't work. I don't dive to the limits anyway and it really is just annoying to have them reading the wrong elevation, but that just seems to be how it is. ""

if this is actually the case, I am going to be very upset with this product--for 7 bills and reading that entire owners manual only to return it is going to be pretty disconcerting

Slightly OT, does anyone have an elevation table showing the height range (ft/m) and the corresponding EL numbers?

I just got an Atom 2.0 that I haven't dived with yet, and mine if showing an elevation of EL2 at 1633 metres (5358 ft). Is this correct?

OK, this is my idea of the elavations levels in the Atom 2.0, and possibly other Oceanic PDC's as well. Taken from the Atom manual, No Deco limits table. All I did was add in the EL levels in red.

Imperial
Imperial.png

Metric
Metric.png

Back
Top Bottom