Atom 2 Elevation Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

contender

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Recently got an Atom 2 and had to upgrade the software to r3F version, this took care of the elevation 3 setting in Florida. Now my question for the Sea level users of the Atom 2 is does your computer go from Sea level to Elevation 2 after the first dive? I have the conservative factor set to off, and I am not sure why it keeps going to El 2. I understand that with each dive the computer gets more conservative, but not sure if this is what it's trying to accomplish with the elevation setting. Oceanic customer service has been great so far, but would like to hear other users take on this.
Thanks.

I have firmware r3C and did that to me in the pool tonight. I wonder if when I wake up tomorrow it will be back at SEA. I hope so. :/

I will be interested to hear other comments on this.

I have firmware r3C and did that to me in the pool tonight. I wonder if when I wake up tomorrow it will be back at SEA. I hope so. :/

I will be interested to hear other comments on this.

Call Oceanic and they will give you r3f and this should take care of the problem.

I recently had a very similar problem with some VT3s.

On my advice, my brother purchased a VT3. He started it up at 660 ft msl. And it started with "EL 2" which should not occur unless you are at 2000 ft msl according to the instructions. We even checked the barometic pressure and it was actually slightly above 29.92 inHg which would cause a drop in pressure altitude (not an increase).

He returned it and got another one, the next one did the exact same thing.

He returned the 2nd one, and finally got a 3rd VT3 that showed "SEA" when started. But after 15 min when it did a check, it switched to "EL 2" again. I reset the computer for him, and ever since it shows "SEA" which is proper.

On the VT3 the firmware shows r1F, I wonder if that is the latest one and if a similar problem has been reported on the VT3s?

I am not sure, I send mine back to Oceanic today (They ROCK!) and they will do their voodoo magic to make it all better. :)

Looks I like a wrote too soon. At his house that has an elevation of 578 feet, he is now getting "EL 2" again. We just can't luck out, that is 3 VT3s in a row giving the wrong elevation.

I just ordered the ATOM 2 with transmitter, should I get the new firmware revision or will it cause problems?

I am very excited about loosing the gauge hose, as I have just combined my inflator and Octopus! Now i'm down to two hoses!

cribbss, you will need to wait and see if you have any problems. If you do I am sure Oceanic will fix you right up.

It is important to note that the EL 2 problem does not prevent the computer from working, you are just diving more conservatively. Not really a bad thing, just something that annoys obsessive compulsive people like me :)

LOL, understood. I have a trip next week doing wreck diving in the keys and I dont want to ruin it with the first time use of a device with problems. Even though it sounds like it may be trivial I may hold off on the SW update until after my week of diving is over.

Thanks you guys for the info. SCUBA Board ROCKS!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom