Atom 2.0 Battery Change nightmare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks flots. Are you a Oceanic rep or just a user?

The reason I ask is that I did take teh DC back to the Oceanic store in Singapore. They did the second battery change. Therefore they should have used all the right stuff and should be competent in doing it.

So my concern still stands: am I going to have exactly the same problem when my current battery needs replacing? How do I get competent service if the local Oceanic guys can't actually do it? What is the cost of sending it to Oceanic in the US?

I've not had a reply from my email/web form I submitted to Oceanic a few months back, and I'm just really worried that if this problem happens again I'm down another $xxx in getting another refurbed unit. I also have to make multiple trips to the shop, which, though Singapore is small, is a bit of a pain.

If flots is not an Oceanic employee, can someone who is an employee make contact?

Thanks flots. Are you a Oceanic rep or just a user?

Just a user.

The reason I ask is that I did take teh DC back to the Oceanic store in Singapore. They did the second battery change. Therefore they should have used all the right stuff and should be competent in doing it.

There's no special reason to believe that any particular service technician really knows what they're doing.

So my concern still stands: am I going to have exactly the same problem when my current battery needs replacing? How do I get competent service if the local Oceanic guys can't actually do it? What is the cost of sending it to Oceanic in the US?

Sorry, I don't have any idea.

All I can tell you is that there are at tens (hundreds?) of thousands of computers with the same or similar design from the same manufacturer, and while some fail after a battery change, it's almost always because the battery change was screwed up, not because of a manufacturing defect.

flots.

As a former owner of Oceanic ATOM 1.0 and 2.0 units, I'll fill you in on what I know.

1) There were firmware issues that drained the batteries faster than normal. Fixing this requires you to send the unit back to Oceanic and they'll update the firmware or send you a refurbished unit to you.

2) You need to make sure you are using a thick CR2430 battery. Even if you use a "decent" branded battery, there's no guarantee it will work. I tried various brands, etc. until I found one that worked and then bought a couple of them. Even at that beware that different lot numbers may have issues as well. It all comes down to whether the battery is thick enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom