Atmos PRO vs. Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyMelton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a new diver and bought the Atmos Pro but really liked the swivel feature of the Atomic B2. When I test breathed them in the pool there was no noticable difference, so I saved 200+ bucks and bought the Atmos Pro.

Would you spend the extra money and upgrad to the Atomic B2 regulator and why? I have about 3 weeks to make my decision because it has a 30day trial period.

I don't plan on making many if anymore cold water dives. I plan on diving locally in the summer and in Florida or warmer (Caribbean) in the winter or whenever I can get there.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

Most regs will work fine in shallow water; especially a pool. Higher end regulators have the edge when delivering a constant air flow at depth/upside down/etc.

The Atmos pro has a lot of great high end features. I do not know how much you paid but scubatoys has a really good sale on them right now.

rakkis:
Most regs will work fine in shallow water; especially a pool. Higher end regulators have the edge when delivering a constant air flow at depth/upside down/etc.

And you would recommend ???

The B2 has served us flawlessly in frigid water (< 50 degrees) at over 90 feet, and deeper in warm water, with absolutely no change in breathing resistance. None.

It breathes the same in any position, and haven't had any issues with free flows.

The swivel is gravy (and I like being able to adjust the hose without it affecting the position of the reg).

I haven't tried the Atmos, so can't offer an opinion.

The B2 would serve anybody well. As far as comfort and ease of breathing you will have to look hard and long to find a complaint. But you will hear complaints about price concerning Atomic products.

FuzzyMelton:
I am a new diver and bought the Atmos Pro but really liked the swivel feature of the Atomic B2. When I test breathed them in the pool there was no noticable difference, so I saved 200+ bucks and bought the Atmos Pro.

Would you spend the extra money and upgrad to the Atomic B2 regulator and why? I have about 3 weeks to make my decision because it has a 30day trial period.

I don't plan on making many if anymore cold water dives. I plan on diving locally in the summer and in Florida or warmer (Caribbean) in the winter or whenever I can get there.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

.... for $ 70 you can install the Atomic stainless universal fit swivel hose on your Atmos Pro ( I'm assuming you're referencing the 2nd-stage Atomic swivel ) , it works GREAT and I've installed it on some of my regs:

Apexs XTX 200 ( 2 reg sets )
Mares Ruby
Mares MR16
Aqualung Titan LX
Atomic B1

Karl

^^

ditto on the comments above. except for the price issue. atomics are a bit pricier yes.. but you recoup that cost in maintenance since atomics only need to be serviced twice a year.

some people will bring up the issue of local repair. and thats a fair concernt to have. however, the option of mailing it to the atomic factory for service is always available.

rakkis:
but you recoup that cost in maintenance since atomics only need to be serviced twice a year.

I think you mean everyother year, as in biennial.

As some have mentioned the real proof is when you are at 100'+ in cold water as to which reg will be the better performer. That said I do not remember seeing the Areis Atmos listed as being one as either a bood or bad performer but the Atomics are consistently listed as being one of the better performers.

Atomic are some of the best performing regs money can buy, there absolutley amazing deep, i would reccomend them over anything unless price is an issue. Then Maybe an apex or your atmos is the best way to go. But if the swivel function was what you were after, then grab an atomic hose with a swivel, they have started making them universal for other regs!!

Back
Top Bottom