Atmos elite or Oceanic VT3 or Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kayakguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
O.k. Another help me chose thread. Which would you choose and why. Money is not a decision making factor. I want AI and it is between these three, and the Wisdom AI, but I am leaning towards remote AI. I am a new diver and this is my first computer, and I know some will tell me I don't need all of this, and you are right. But I want it.

Sooner or later there will be some tech diving, I will purchase additional gear when I get there. I have the luxury of being able to throw money at my hobbies(no kids).

So anyway opinions please. Thanks a bunch. I bow to your experience and wisdom.:god:

-Kayakguy

Hi Kayakguy,

Well, if ya got the money to spend :)

Of the four you mention, it's a fairly easy call for me: I'd go with the Aeris or the Oceanic. Understand that the Aeris and Oceanic are essentially the exact same computer with some differences in the display. Choosing between them should be done with the computer in hand, with you deciding which data layout you prefer.

Resoning: the t3 and vt3 are current models allowing you to monitor tank pressure off multiple transmitters. I love this. You can setup transmitters on your wife/dive buddy's hp port, and ensure their air is sufficient - more safety is always good. Alternatively, you can can dive double tanks, or setup the alt transmitter on tanks you've hung from a deco line. Further, both the aeris and vt3 have adjustable conservatism, a key factor to me. This allows you to chose, within the computer's parameters, whether you want to dive more conservative or liberal bottom times, enabling your judgement to factor into the safety of your dives. The vytec doesn't really have either of these features.

I hear great things about the wisdom, good readout, reliable... but if I'm going to spend the money, I'd go hoseless on my wrist - I love wrist-based computers: easy to see, always near your eye, etc.

BTW, I fall into the camp of having a redundant mechanical spg (at least pressure) if you go hoseless ai.

I'm also in the market for a hoseless wrist model (I have a uwatec smart pro which has been bulletproof and I'm struggling to find an excuse to upgrade!). I'm looking at the aeris/oceanic option, as well as the uwatec smartz and smart tec.

-Al

kayakguy:
O.k. Another help me chose thread. Which would you choose and why. Money is not a decision making factor. I want AI and it is between these three, and the Wisdom AI, but I am leaning towards remote AI. I am a new diver and this is my first computer, and I know some will tell me I don't need all of this, and you are right. But I want it.

Sooner or later there will be some tech diving, I will purchase additional gear when I get there. I have the luxury of being able to throw money at my hobbies(no kids).

So anyway opinions please. Thanks a bunch. I bow to your experience and wisdom.:god:
Well, FWIW you might want to carefully read THIS link, which was recently posted by a new member. I found it quite interesting:
http://www.bikiniatoll.com/divemaster advice.html

Just scroll down about 2/3s of the way down.

While these guys could certainly be accused of bias, they would seem to be not too different from any other really remote destination with rather deep dive sites. Hard to get to and expensive in terms of airfare, and especially vulnerable to divers exhibiting DCS symptoms (uh, who you gonna call? how will you transport a stricken diver?), they would seem to have tremendous interest in ensuring that whatever computer is being used by their guests it is a computer that can be trusted in this particular environment.

I found it interesting to note which computers they particularly recommended and those they distinctly would not allow. I suspect they have more experience with a wider range of divers and computers than many participants on the board.

YMMV...

kayakguy:

-Kayakguy

I have dove all three. The one I selected is the Suunto Vytec DS. All three performed very well and were equally as usable. The screen information was comparable as was the features. The Elete and VT3 allowed for multiple tank monitoring. The problem with this is that you have to be close to the transmitter and wait a few seconds for it to be picked up. Basically you can reach over, tap your buddy on the shoulder, point to his gauge and get him to show it to you in the same time that the $400 option provides you the same information. (i.e. $400 per additional transmitter). In addition the DS algorithm in the Suunto is something that I have used in the past on deep dives. The Suunto is more conservative than the Aeris or the Oceanic and can be customized to meet a particular profile. I like the toys of diving so I have played with a good many computers; I suggest you do the same. Not in a pool but during an actual profile, using two or three at a time to do side by side comparisons. I have compared the following:

Cochran EMC-16
Aeris ai, T3, Elete
Oceanic VT3
Suunto Cobra, Vyper, Vytec DS
Uwatec Smart Tec
Tusa IQ 700

Out of all of them I liked the Suunto Vytec DS (my current primary) and the Cochran EMC-16 (current backup). Now for the money and rec orientation, the Aeris ai is a fantastic computer as is the Suunto Cobra. There is a new Cobra 2 out that looks promising for the recreational diver.
:monkeydan

FoxTrot:
How much does the Vytec DS usually run in shops? How about with the Transmitter?

I have seen it range from $700 to $850 (with the transmitter). My local LDS got me one a six months ago for $850 including the download cable. The prices on the computers are dropping, so shop around and negotiate with your LDS.

Thanks dschulte for the firsthand experience. I now realize that the vytec has gas switching while in the water, I believe it has taken the lead in the race so far.

Get the Oceanic or Aeris.....oh and they also allow for in-water gas switching :D ....amongst a few other better suited feuters that the Suuntos do not.

kayakguy:
Thanks dschulte for the firsthand experience. I now realize that the vytec has gas switching while in the water, I believe it has taken the lead in the race so far.

It is a real easy switch as well, just hold the button for a few seconds and select from your pre-set mix; up to three different 21% - 99%.

Tamas:
Get the Oceanic or Aeris.....oh and they also allow for in-water gas switching :D ....amongst a few other better suited feuters that the Suuntos do not.

Which features did you like the best?

Back
Top Bottom