ATM Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the atms at both Mega and Chedraui have ripped me off. Never again! If you must, only use one inside a bank door.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

the atms at both Mega and Chedraui have ripped me off. Never again! If you must, only use one inside a bank door.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
It looks like the guy robbed last night was using one at 30th Ave & Called 8N, or did google spot that one right...??

Capture.JPG

Credit card fraud in the US is huge,

Ok, so you agree. Oh wait, you didn't stop there. Let me keep reading....

but the techniques are different here and abroad,

You mean they don't clone the little plastic bits and sell the info? Well if they have a better way and can do it cheaper, I am sure we would like to import it....

and Mexico is very different than the US in regards to corruption and crime.

A country with as rich in natural resources and as rich of a location and as rich as a history of modern settlement doesn't resemble a 3rd world country when you venture 25 miles from the coast unless something is very F'd up with the place for a long time and Mexico's long history of corruption is what has created what it has become or more specifically what it has not become or not been able to become today.

Let's be real here. It's 2013. In Mexico you can't drink clean water, you can't flush toilet paper down a toilet and they can't even make exact change in their local currency, less than a tenth of the country has reliable electricity. Millions of Mexicans risk life and limb to escape the country to come to their northern neighbor illegally in search of economic salvation, and yet Mexico is the 10th largest exporter of petroleum in the world... where is the money?

And as usual, just because somebody is stating the facts about something doesn't mean they are bashing it. Mexico is what it is, but I'm not going to pretend that it's something else. It's 2013 in the US the median income is about $35,000 and the Mexican median income is about $3000. We share roughly the same geographic location and both countries achieved independence roughly within 25 years of each other and yet....

so yes, there is a problem in Mexico and it's corruption and it's held Mexico back in the world. Mexico should be an economic powerhouse but it can't be because of corruption and the culture of corruption that exists in Mexican society.

If you still want to be in denial then simply address the main question yourself -

I thought we were discussing credit card fraud? What exactly did I say about the rest of this? Or are we supposed to pretend the sewers have something to do with credit cards?

I'm trying to get it? WAIT... Is it the sewers they use for credit card fraud? Like don't sit your credit cards in the bathroom? Is it like the paper blocks the readers or something?

You mean the one at Salas and 30?
I dunno. I mistyped Calle 8N, but that's where google maps spotted it. I've seen them wrong before...?

I dunno. I mistyped Calle 8N, but that's where google maps spotted it. I've seen them wrong before...?

Well, I read about one at about 0130 on Thursday morning, but it wasn't on Calle 8, it was 30 between 1 and Salas. Two guys on a MC with a knife? Was there another one?

Ok, so you agree. Oh wait, you didn't stop there. Let me keep reading....

You mean they don't clone the little plastic bits and sell the info? Well if they have a better way and can do it cheaper, I am sure we would like to import it....

I thought we were discussing credit card fraud? What exactly did I say about the rest of this? Or are we supposed to pretend the sewers have something to do with credit cards?

I'm trying to get it? WAIT... Is it the sewers they use for credit card fraud? Like don't sit your credit cards in the bathroom? Is it like the paper blocks the readers or something?

Maybe williamann will explain it, he is very sensitive

Well, I read about one at about 0130 on Thursday morning, but it wasn't on Calle 8, it was 30 between 1 and Salas. Two guys on a MC with a knife? Was there another one?
Same one. I linked the story, but didn't understand it as well...
COZUMEL, Q. Roo. - Early yesterday morning, a cardholder was violently assaulted after withdrawing money from an ATM in the Avenida Pedro Joaquin Coldwell . To strip him of his belongings the victim was threatened with a knife.
Continued at "¿Dónde están los policías, donde está la seguridad de Cozumel?" (sic)

or Google Translate
The story just mentioned Avenida Pedro Joaquin Coldwell which seems to be also known as 30th Ave, so I guess google maps was just picking a spot on the avenue.

One of our travel companions had this same problem in May. Funny how thieves can make larger withdrawals per transaction than the account holders are allowed to. Thankfully, he got all his money returned by his bank. Sucks to be a victim.

Same one. I linked the story, but didn't understand it as well...

The story just mentioned Avenida Pedro Joaquin Coldwell which seems to be also known as 30th Ave, so I guess google maps was just picking a spot on the avenue.

De acuerdo al reporte policíaco, el robo ocurrió a las 01:36 horas del jueves en un cajero de una sucursal bancaria, localiza en la avenida Pedro Joaquín Coldwell entre las calles primera sur y Adolfo Rosado Salas.

Yep, same one 30 between 1 and Salas. Might be in where the BK is?

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 12:43 AM ----------

Never heard of a card skimmer? They're neat little devices. They go over where the card is inserted into the machine (these can be used on gas pumps too...anything with a card reader). They look like part of the machine but are actually attachments. You use the card and skimmer scans it. You can still use the machine and be none the wiser. Information is stored on the skimmer and it is later retrieved to have your card information downloaded to a computer. Once downloaded, your card information can be printed onto a new card with a magnetic strip (blank hotel key cards can even be used and they're very cheap). From there, they basically have your card. Small covert cameras tend to be attached to ATMs that are used to visually record you putting in your PIN number. Skimmers at gas station pumps are more popular because not everyone uses a PIN code on them.

Just some info for you...

The US scammers are lazy. They do print some so they can match the name on the front to an available ID, but they reuse them and changed the card number saved on the magnetic strip without changed the embossed number. Hardly anyone checks to see if the numbers embossed match the card.

On the other hand the new-ish prepaid cards make it even easier. No need for ID as there is no name on the card. Just steal a blank one off the rack at Walmart and encode a new number.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 12:44 AM ----------

Maybe williamann will explain it, he is very sensitive

I'll accept your apology and the :surrender:

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom