Atlas glove sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear the 620 glove in size XXL with a thick wool/thinsulate glove underneath, but I am a tall, lanky guy with big hands. If I am wearing a thinner glove underneath, I will use an XL instead. I like the glove to be somewhat tight over my liner.

The 620/660 series gloves are sized for uninsulated hands (no liners). They work good for me since my fingers are so long (and they are so much cheaper).

The 465/495 series gloves are sized to use the acrylic liner underneath, so they work better for stockier hands. If I understand correctly, the 460/490 series gloves are exactly the same only without the liners included.

The orange gloves (620, 460, 465) are all double dipped PVC. The Blue gloves (660, 490, 495) are triple dipped, so they are thicker, and theoretically more durable. I haven't ripped an orange glove yet, though, so I'm using those until I do.

I just posted this on TDS, so it is still on my clipboard, but they also make a knit-wrist green glove that is even lighter weight than the orange glove.

600 GLOVE PVC GRN KNITCUFF - Seattle Marine

Oh, and I DEFINITELY spent more than $24 on the "sizing experiment"

I found a pair of Atlas 481 Vinylove Fleece (middle blue glove on the left), which is a similar size to the 490 series, but the glove that they dip in the PVC is a fleece glove instead of the thin cotton liner they use in the 490 glove. It doesn't seem very appropriate for diving, and I'm not sure it would work with my ring system.

Tom

Oh, and I DEFINITELY spent more than $24 on the "sizing experiment"

Hehe, very nice collage. I hope I won't end up with quite so colorful collection. I think I will opt for 660s for mainstream diving and get some 495s for real cold water, so I can stuff more liners underneath.

It is hard to believe there are not any of these locally. I saw them at home depot, the surplus store and the local hardware store all in the last week. This was the Atlas 660's. I would call a couple of stores and ask them to check.

I could not believe it either, what sticks I live in! Three shops actually carried Atlas gloves just none of the right kind. One hardware store, one sports store and one fishing/gardening mixed-up weirdo store. In the end, I decided driving around burning gas will cost more than ordering a few... Home Depot here had some other brand of PVC glove that looked very similar, I was tempted but decided I will go with something proven. I'd hate to get some slippery-dippery thing that cracks open in cold water. (Well, I am hoping we'll break 40F this weekend and most gloves can handle that without too much aggravation...)

Hehe, very nice collage. I hope I won't end up with quite so colorful collection. I think I will opt for 660s for mainstream diving and get some 495s for real cold water, so I can stuff more liners underneath.

I could not believe it either, what sticks I live in! Three shops actually carried Atlas gloves just none of the right kind. One hardware store, one sports store and one fishing/gardening mixed-up weirdo store. In the end, I decided driving around burning gas will cost more than ordering a few... Home Depot here had some other brand of PVC glove that looked very similar, I was tempted but decided I will go with something proven. I'd hate to get some slippery-dippery thing that cracks open in cold water. (Well, I am hoping we'll break 40F this weekend and most gloves can handle that without too much aggravation...)

Lowe's has blue Wells Lamont (SP?) gloves so I picked up a pair. I'm going to give them a try unless someone here has tried them and they don't work.

They look like the smurf gloves..

Sorry to resurrect this old thread. I found it through a Google search. Does anyone have any experience with the Atlas 481?

They are fleece lined. I was wondering if they would help hold warmth more than just a plain coated rubber glove? I am considering wearing a pair of thin poly gloves from REI in these gloves for extra warmth.

Thank you.

See my above post re the 481.
I have a pair. They do work with my Viking ring system, but they aren't ideal. You get a slight increase in warmth, but it costs you a large decrease in dexterity. Plus, you can't pull the liners out to let them dry, so its not great for the smell factor.

YMMV. If you are ever in STL and want to try them out, drop me a line and you can have them.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom