Atlas glove sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

piikki

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need to figure out what size Atlas gloves I fit into, so I can order them online. I can’t find them anywhere locally to try them on. The only marine store didn’t carry them, and I have gone through enough fishing/sporting stores and got tired. No diver that I know wears them locally, and I want them NOW.

Only reference I have is that I fit into DUI zipgloves in size M. That is a close/perfect fit with their regular liners, anything thicker and I would need to go to L.

I am mainly interested in Atlas 660 but also 495 fit. I don't care for the liners. Does anyone have an idea how their sizes compare to DUI glove sizes – especially since the 660 states is “narrower” than 495. Where does DUI fall in the width aspect?

P.S. The 660 does not state that it is cold water resistant but I have seen many of you mention using it – any problems in cold water (stiffening?)

I need to figure out what size Atlas gloves I fit into, so I can order them online. I can’t find them anywhere locally to try them on. The only marine store didn’t carry them, and I have gone through enough fishing/sporting stores and got tired. No diver that I know wears them locally, and I want them NOW.

Only reference I have is that I fit into DUI zipgloves in size M. That is a close/perfect fit with their regular liners, anything thicker and I would need to go to L.

I am mainly interested in Atlas 660 but also 495 fit. I don't care for the liners. Does anyone have an idea how their sizes compare to DUI glove sizes – especially since the 660 states is “narrower” than 495. Where does DUI fall in the width aspect?

P.S. The 660 does not state that it is cold water resistant but I have seen many of you mention using it – any problems in cold water (stiffening?)
I've used both the 495s (removable liners) and 660s (no liners) as dry gloves over the past 2 years. I have the Diving Concepts ring system. I wear average-thickness wool under-gloves 9 months/year in 48F to 65F water. I switch to thin knit or fleece gloves in the summer (65F to 70F)

I order them from Seattle Marine.

Size: I wear size 7 gloves. 495s - Mediums fit perfectly over my wool knit gloves. 660s - I need XLs in this glove to fit comfortably over my knit gloves. Larges are too tight.
[I use knit wool gloves instead. They're warmer. The long cuffs of the yellow acrylic gloves get in the way for the Diving Concepts glove rings.]

Cost: 495s are $15/pair. 660s are $4/pair.

Liners: 495s have removable yellow acrylic liners. 660s have no liners.

Material: Both are triple dipped. I don't notice any difference in stiffness in water down to 48F.

The 495 Mediums fit me perfectly. I tried the 660s because of cost... I don't use the 495 liners and the 660s are 1/3 the cost. But they don't fit me well and I'm back to the 495s.

I've never tried the Atlas gloves with the non-removable liners.

It's sort of a Cinderella Slipper search, but you'll eventually find your perfect glove.

~~~~
Claudette

I think the 490's and 495's are the same size, just with/without the liners. I bought a few pairs of the 660s in large, which fit like medium in the 490/495.

edit: I also have DUI medium zipgloves and they feel the same as the 490/495 medium and 660 in large.

As far as the yellow acrylic liner goes- I think they are decently warm, although I'm not too fond of the floppy cuff. For me, the acrylic liners are "medium" thickness and warmth. I have a pair of thinner, fleecy gloves from North Face that I use in the summer, and I have a pair of army surplus wool gloves that I use in the winter. The wool is thicker and warmer than the acrylic, which is thicker and warmer than the fleece.

If you get cold hands, I would suggest larger gloves so that you can wear more insulation, but don't get too crazy with it- at some point you start to lose dexterity.

Great info. I did not realize the 660s were so much smaller/skinnier. I might have problem with them then. The price for them was so much better, and I thought the narrowness would be a plus when going up a size. Not so if I have to go 2 sizes up for winter insulation.

I don't like the yellow liners either, so I'd rather not pay for them. Looks like even with 495 you will have to buy/pay for them.. grr...

I think the 490's and 495's are the same size, just with/without the liners. I bought a few pairs of the 660s in large, which fit like medium in the 490/495.

edit: I also have DUI medium zipgloves and they feel the same as the 490/495 medium and 660 in large.
This is what I had hoped... but the 495 Mediums fit me perfectly, while the 660 Larges are absolutely too small. I had to go to an XL 660 to fit over my normal knit gloves, and then the fingers were too long to be useful.

The 660's are narrower. Some people prefer them for that reason.

~~~~
Claudette

This is what I had hoped... but the 495 Mediums fit me perfectly, while the 660 Larges are absolutely too small. I had to go to an XL 660 to fit over my normal knit gloves, and then the fingers were too long to be useful.

The 660's are narrower. Some people prefer them for that reason.

~~~~
Claudette
Fair enough. They feel the same to me, but I'm sure there are variances, depending on undergloves, hands, etc. I generally have to push a bit to get the heel of my palm past the wrist of the glove, so I wear them pretty snug.

Fair enough. They feel the same to me, but I'm sure there are variances, depending on undergloves, hands, etc. I generally have to push a bit to get the heel of my palm past the wrist of the glove, so I wear them pretty snug.
Personal preference does play a part in this. I spoke to staff at Seattle Marine and they confirmed that a different sizing mold is used for the liner-less gloves. They offered no direct sizing equivalencies, and could only suggest that I order a few pair of different sizes and models and see what I liked.

My mom inherited a nice collection of house/garden work gloves after my $24 dollar sizing experiment.:shakehead: But now I know.

Size: I wear size 7 gloves. 495s - Mediums fit perfectly over my wool knit gloves. 660s - I need XLs in this glove to fit comfortably over my knit gloves. Larges are too tight.

I just found a soft tape measure and was able to size up my shovel. Looks like I have bigger palm than yours if we are measuring the same way (around at knuckle level). I don't know my official glove size but this way mine should be size 8 (inches).

Bugger that would spell XL for me with 660. Draw your hand onto the screen for me! I have large hands but not very thick/meaty. Too long fingers would be a real nuisance in larger sizes though. I rather the fingers be a little short, as long as the glove accommodates them otherwise.

It is hard to believe there are not any of these locally. I saw them at home depot, the surplus store and the local hardware store all in the last week. This was the Atlas 660's. I would call a couple of stores and ask them to check.

It will depend a lot on what you wear for a liner. I am diving six times this weekend in mid 40 deg water and have four different liners that I will be trying to find what I like best. I have the 495's and dont like the liners that came with them.

Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom