Atlantis-Nassau, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveguy07

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Daughter and I (both PADI AOW), will be going to Harborside (Atlantis Resort) on Paradise Island. This is our first trip to this island in the Bahamas (we frequent Freeport). I would greatly appreciate any recommendations for dive shops, especially those either near our resort, or those that provide transportation from our resort to their location. Also, please recommend dives that we shouldn't miss.

THANK YOU!!
Diveguy07

The closest shop is Bahama Divers, basically just across the bridge, but they will pick you up. My wife enjoyed her AOW with them. I did some dives with them too and had a good time. If I were diving again there, it's who I would go with unless there was a specific site I wanted to see that they didn't go to.

Stuart Coves is farther away, but will pick you up too. I found them more crowded and less personalized, but their shark dive (feeding) is one that you should do if you've never done that before. Not really anthing bad to say about them; personally I just enjoyed the Bahama Divers more. Depends what you are looking for.

John

Thanks, John.

That's the kind of information I was looking for. Since I've never been to this island, I don't have any specific dive sites to ask for. I do prefer a smaller (more personalized) operation, but I would like them to be large enough to offer a variety of sites.

Ron

Just FYI, Stuart Cove is over one hour away on the 'local' pick up bus from Atlantis. I went out with both Bahama Divers and Stuart COve and found both to be perfectly fine. No need to spend 2 1/2 hours on the bus every day. Bahama Divers it is!

Well, the time we went out with them we stopped at every single hotel (10+) on the way until the bus was completely filled and then they all got on the one boat with us. We enjoyed Bahama Divers experience much more for that reason. :)

For information....the current dredging work ongoing within the harbor and surrounding area is having an impact on the viz. For instance the Light House Reef site looked allot like we were gonna be diving in milk! It would make sense to specifically ask about the effects of the works on operator's other sites to the North East.

To date, I hear only good things about Capt. Corrie and his Paradise Charters. It sound's to me like they're slightly more apt to accommodate DSD and newer, less experienced divers. Hopefully, his concern will fuel a little friendly competition and a welcomed rise in customer satisfaction amongst divers here.

FYI most of the new and interesting wrecks are down to the South West with Coves. The North East does, however, have the Lost Blue Hole. This is either a rather nice 40' beginners dive, with a few small coral heads, Sting rays and juvenile nurse shark cruising by and the 100' diameter opening down into the hole as an impressive back drop or, alternatively, a quite advanced deep dive. I remember finding it singularly frustrating to dive it to only 90' (still in the shaft before it really opens up), not being allowed into the small cave at 85' and not having very much at the top (that I wasn't used to seeing) to enthrall me. These days it's a very great favorite, last weekend I was lucky enough to catch some shots of a large (around here anyway) octopus in the cave.

Hope this helped. Attached is a shot of the Octopus to whet your appetite.

Attachments

• Octo.JPG
    Octo.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 250

Back
Top Bottom