Atlanta to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are willing to drive another hour or two, you can make it all the way to Key Largo (on a weekend at least, weekday traffic south of West Palm Beach can be brutal during rush hour). I've ridden my motorcycle from Knoxville TN straight through to WPB a number of times in 12 hours, taking I-75 to the Florida turnpike. Knoxville is about 2 1/2 hours north of Atlanta and West Palm Beach is about 2 1/2 hours north of Key Largo. Given your starting point, its about the same distance and time as my ride between Knoxville/WPB. Plus, I have to stop to gas up the bike every 125 miles and you can probably go quite a bit further in the car before you need to pull off for fuel. If I can do it on a m/c with no windshield, you might be able to do it in a cage (whoops.... make that 'car'.... m/c riders refer to autombiles as cages and I forgot I was on the scuba site, not a harley site).

If you don't want to do drive staight through, stopping in Ft Pierce makes sense as suggested above. Ft Pierce has one of the coolest biker bars around call Archies. I happen to like Stuart a bit better than FP and there are a couple of new motels. If you stop in Stuart, the front desk can give you directions to Fins or Shrimpers for dinner. Both are very moderately priced and on the water (intercoastal). Both have some outdoor seating: fun places.

Oh yeah, I'd stay on the turnpike all the way to the south of Florida's mainland too. the turnpike will dump you into US 1 in Florida City, right when you leave the mainland and start on the causeway (sp?). When I drive (or ride) to Key Largo from Jupiter/West Palm beach, that's what I do. The map makes it look a bit longer than I-95, but in my experience, the turnpike is much quicker unless there is an accident.

Enjoy Key Largo

I made this trip last week from Tallahassee. Fortunately, we have plenty of friends along the route, so we didn't need to do the hotels, but a few tips.

1. Easiest route is I75-Turnpike-US1/Overseas Hwy. Dead simple. BUT, you WANT to make that Miami bypass around Exit 47 toward Homestead.

2. Get the Sunpass. Seriously. $20 bucks should get you one way, maybe both. I lost count. If you can't find another way, paypal me and I'll get you one.

3. Doing it in one long drive is ugly. Stop either outside Gainesville, or Orlando if you want to push it. You can get easy hotels in either place.

4. There are some nice hotels on Key largo, and some not-so-nice ones. There is a decent greek restaurant there that was a real treasure to find. Island smoke shop ROCKS if you want good cigars.

5. There is a Publix on the left going south. Mr. C's has good ice cream. There are darn few places to catch the sunset but I can give you two great places if you like.

6. Gas up in Florida City. It's 10 cents cheaper.

Have fun down there. I sure did!

Thank you all for all your tips and advice.

I think we will stay on the turnpike and we will definitely get a sunpass.

Perrone-thank you for your offer to get me one, that is very kind. I will let you know if I need to take you up on that.

Still haven't decided if we will do it in one day or not. DH want to but I was ready to be out the car last year when we drove to Port Canaveral for our cruise. We have driven straight through to Upstate NY though several times (about 14 hours) but as I get older I don't do as well on long trips.

I'll be sure to look for the Miami bypass. I wasn't looking forward to driving through Miami but I thought we had to.

My wife and I are getting ready to get SCUBA certified and we are looking at Key Largo as our first dive experience.

I live in Atlanta and so was interested in this thread. Fortunately I am a pilot and we own an aircraft because the sound of 10-12 hours driving makes me cry. :crying:

I would caution against the keys right now as the winds were pretty stiff last weekend. Certainly not a "beginner" experience. Depending on when you get certified, conditions may be better.

Honestly, I'd probably recommend the Florida Springs as a first experience. Get you gear and stuff sorted out, then maybe look for some shallow reefs to dive down the FL East coast. Watching newbies try to get off (and on) the boat in 4ft swells was no joke. We took one directly abeam and people thought the boat was going to capsize...

Perrone...we would not be coming down until June.

My wife wants fishes and reefs.....so I must bow to her requests.

Perrone...we would not be coming down until June.

My wife wants fishes and reefs.....so I must bow to her requests.

Completely understood. My GF loves the fishes and reefs too. And I must admit, it was a nice change from looking at the wet rocks in the caves! :) If only they could do something about the salty tasting water! :wink:

I hear the water is calmer in the times you're looking, but I have no direct experience. Best of luck with your certification and your trip!

Thats exactly why I suggested she stay on the Turnpike - you avoid a trip on US 1 from Coconut Grove to Florida City filled with traffic lights and stop and go traffic.

The Turnpike is a much better way to go - I get on it whjen I go vs driving US 1 from Coconut Grove.

Completely agree with this, having made the mistake of staying on I-95 one time. Via the Turnpike, the trip is usually a relative breeze.

June is one of the best months weather wise in FL - while you can encounter winds and rough seas, you stand a better chance of calm seas and good conditions. Great time to come to FL.

Also, while June is the start of Hurricane Season, they almost never are a factor then - August 15 - Sept 30, I'd really watch the forecast.

Not to hijack the thread but on the same line as the original question........what is the advantage of taking the turnpike?

My wife and I drive to the Keys several times a year, and with the exception of one time, we have always stayed on I-75 to make the trip. My reasoning is that I have many options of places to stop for food/fuel versus the turnpike, no tolls (until Alligator Alley), etc.

We just got back from Key Largo this morning - drove all night - and it took us 12.5 hrs from mm 102 in Key Largo to our home which is about 1 hour north of downtown Atlanta. It takes us 13 hrs on the drive down but we make more stops during the day as our dog travels with us.

I am really interested in the advantage of taking the turnpike - if I could save 1-2 hrs driving time, I might consider it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom