Atlanta to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdbmga

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We are planning a trip to KL. We will be driving from the Atlanta, GA area. We aren't sure if we want to drive it all at once or stop along the way. We were thinking about driving 8-10 hours and then stopping. Since we have never driven this route b4 we don't know what city to stop in. Any recommendations from someone who has driven this route b4?

P.S. We will be on the turnpike

Thank you.

You will need to get off the FL Turnpike to find hotels - one suggestion is to stop for the night in Ft Pierce - number of hotels there; easy on and off, especially if you want to switch to I 95 for the rest of the trip to Key Largo.

From Atlanta, the time mentioned should put you there w/in 8 - 10 hours.

Its a long trip to do in one day and I'd do it in one trip only if you have multiple drivers.

From Ft Pierce, you are +/- 3.5 - 4 hours from Key Largo.

Let me add something - while you can take I 95 from Ft Pierce and pike up the Turnpike in other places farther south, if you are unfamiliar w/ the roads, you are probably beteer off staying on the Tpk until it ends in Florida City and getting on US 1 to KL.

One other thing you might consider is getting via the mail a Florida Sunpass - it costs $5, you get credit for the $5 you spent, and you prepay tolls which are deducted as you pass through the toll booths.

Its well worth it and will save you time (you breeze through the toll areas) and $$$ as you get a small discount on tolls - just the convenience is well worth it.

Google Sunpass and you can do it all on line.

How much should I load the sunpass with? How much are the tolls both ways?

Edited to add: I can't find where I can order the $4.99 one online. It looks like you have to purchase it at Publix, CVS etc.

We are planning a trip to KL. We will be driving from the Atlanta, GA area. We aren't sure if we want to drive it all at once or stop along the way. We were thinking about driving 8-10 hours and then stopping. Since we have never driven this route b4 we don't know what city to stop in. Any recommendations from someone who has driven this route b4?

P.S. We will be on the turnpike

Thank you.

I always opt for the single day of driving, but if you want to take in some sights, that's ok too. There's not much to speak of between Atlanta and Orlando, except Gainesville... which has an excellent Chicago style pizza joint if you're interested! Other than that, it's a college town with little to do besides eating or drinking.

Ocala is mediocre at best. It's got some good eats but they are way off the interstate. The turnpike has service plazas spaced about 45 minutes apart, depending on your speed. (Don't forget that Florida has state troopers [troop K] dedicated to driving the turnpike just looking for wrongdooers.)

You can't go wrong getting off the Turnpike @ I-4 because you can hit anything you want around International Drive. (Sorry, the Diver's Direct store is closed now.) Also, if you're going to make a stop, Orlando would be a good place to do it.

From Orlando, I would stay on the turnpike until you can get off and get on I-95 since they parallel each other for quite some distance and you usually don't get there any faster. But that decision is really based on you being in south Florida around rush hour or not. I prefer not to pay to sit in traffic.

Eventually you'll run out of interstate and will need to get on US-1... it is a slow ride from that point... you're going to feel like you're going 30mph the whole way there. At least I did. I've not been to the keys in many years, but I still bet US-1 rivals Atlanta for generating road rage.

There are plenty of places to eat, but my recommendations stop at Jupiter. While it's all been good, nothing I would make a point to go back to... or too far off your route.

If you decide to stop in Orlando, let me know!

Ken

You can't order the $5 one online. You can only buy it at CVS and Publix. I called them. The one you can order online is the $25 one.

"Eventually you'll run out of interstate and will need to get on US-1... it is a slow ride from that point... you're going to feel like you're going 30mph the whole way there. At least I did. I've not been to the keys in many years, but I still bet US-1 rivals Atlanta for generating road rage."

Thats exactly why I suggested she stay on the Turnpike - you avoid a trip on US 1 from Coconut Grove to Florida City filled with traffic lights and stop and go traffic.

The Turnpike is a much better way to go - I get on it whjen I go vs driving US 1 from Coconut Grove.

You can't order the $5 one online. You can only buy it at CVS and Publix. I called them. The one you can order online is the $25 one.
Me, I'd pay the $25 - its that worth it

However....you have Publix in Georgia - like 181 stores - do any of them sell it or can they order the $4.99 one for you?

Ck w/ the manager; Publix is great for going the extra mile.

We are going to see if one of my husband's coworkers that lives in South Beach will send us one of the $5 ones. If not, we will order one of the $25 ones. Not sure if my local GA Publix would be able to get a FL sunpass.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom