Athens Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, what happened was that when I calle her to find out how much everything was going to be, she told me one price, and when I got there, that wasn't the price I got. Keep in mind that this happened 2 years ago...I haven't been back since.

I've been going out there for a year and a half, and so far this summer has been disappointing.

They appear to be in nickel and dime mode, which is disappointing because I think it's a good dive park normally.

Don't know what they've got going on financially (I know it's up for sale AGAIN), but the next class going out I'm involved with will probably head to Terrell.

Debraw:
Yep Crazy Duck is right! Blond hair turns green! We went June 4th and I have to admit the best part was hanging out in the water just chatting. Pretty good diving.... when it's clear. Airfills are a bit expensive ( $10) but I guess that's the price you pay...literally. Camping should be good. have fun!

OK, so exactly what *is* it that they put into the water, if anything? I have heard of one dive shop that will not allow poeple to take their rental gear to Athens...

--'Goose

They put chemicals in the water that collute the particulate to make it settle on the bottom (so you have some decent viz).

Anybody know what the chemical is, exactly? I read that it is alum, is this true? Also, I believe this is also what makes the lake unlivable for aquatic life. I suppose they've tried to eliminate chemicals, but the vis must have diminished. That's a shame, because it is such a pretty place, and the amenities are very nice.

I guess we should remember that the entry fee is also paying for a nice warm shower, swimming pool area, good camping and nice, laid-back atmosphere. But it's probably time to rethink the $10 airfills. I'd really like to give it another try, but for me, it's hard to get past the green hair thingie. Any ideas? hmmm...how about a Gertrude Ederle swimcap... maybe that would work...

Foo

Aggie Diver:
They put chemicals in the water that collute the particulate to make it settle on the bottom (so you have some decent viz).

I spoke with Calvin on this last time I was in Terrell (last weekened). They told me that they have not put anything into the water in something like three years. After the chemical to get the water clarity taken care of (not sure what it was), they used to treat the area to keep the pH stable, for the fish that used to be there. As they no longer have fish, they no longer add anything to the water.

I must agree on the fees. It’s a shame that they raised them that high, especially since Terrell didn’t. To answer 2bit, I don’t normally go there, for that very reason. We will be there this weekend, as we were invited to join a group that includes my advanced instructor. I wish he was only $5 on fills, as my parents live close, so I’d go much more often.

Charley

The time I went last summer (June or July) it was like diving in alka-seltzer, there was white particulate blurring everything. I do believe something was added within a few days of our arrival. It was a Wednesday. There were maybe 2 more divers there, that we never saw, and we never touched the bottom, no bouyancy issues. My and my daughter's hair turned a spinach green during the first dive. When we had stood on the docks before our dive, checking out the water for the first time, we were positively salivating. It looked amazingly clear and beautiful. I had read and been told of even 60+ ft vis there before... so we were quite disappointed to submerge into what amounted to milk-soup. If there's a better explanation than an additive, I'd love to know what it was hanging all around us.

I'm not putting down Athens, because, like I said- the park itself is very nice, albiet the air-fill $ issue. The dive shop is complete, and we did get an on-the-spot reg check/clean (for $15) when we presented a borrowed reg that we hadn't used before.
But that white stuff reminded me driving in a snowstorm, with the snow coming at you, it was actually quite disorienting. I dunno what it was, but it wasn't our imagination.

Foo

as for the aquatic life calvin told a group of divers i was with onetime that there used to be fish there and that the had a hunting party to eradicate them because of complaints of biting. but i do not know the truth to this.

loosebits:
Basically, FIXXERVI6 is a mosquito magnent and the reason you didn't notice them is because they were all attacking him.

Just like all the chicks.. they all like me because I'm sweet and flock to me :)

Back
Top Bottom